Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No just PLO on a 101-degree day>:D I have had two and a half charters this week and yesterday was brutal! I had the honor of taking a young couple from Texas out on their honeymoon! Two of the nicest people I have met so far. I thought i was drinking enough water and felt fine till about 2 pm. Once I got on shore I became weak and dizzy with one of the worst headaches I have ever had! Kelly wanted to take me to the emergency room but I am too stubborn (stupid). After a rough night, I am fine now. I am going to have to rethink how I approach hot weather from now on? I may be getting too old, lol :mad:

The fishing was good all week with fish starting to transition into deeper water. Yesterday the magic depth was 18-25 feet and slower presentation taking almost all the keepers. Water temp is 74 to76 degrees just about everywhere.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
That SUX Neal, in your profession you don't want to mess with Heat Stroke. It has the possibility of turning to Exertional Heat Stroke which can be fatal! You should try the Frogg Togg Chilly Pads if you haven't yet and maybe keep a couple extras for your customers. I've gone to using one when needed and they are great and help a bunch, think I got mine from Walmart or BPS.

http://www.exertional-heatstroke.com/#what-is-ehs

http://www.froggtoggs.com/cooling.html

Take care of yourself bud!!!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Geez Neal... Be careful !
I was at Chatty Thurs from 6 till noon and had the SAME symptoms happen to Me..
My Buddy was asking Me questions and I was "out of it"
Powered down about a few glasses of cold water and came out of it...
I shoulda hydrated a lot earlier in the morn... BUT, I was drinking coffee till about 9 am.... DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.... :(
Anyhow, a few hours later I was back to normal...
Slept like a baby that nite....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Had a good Dr. friend tell me that the sports drinks do help considerably during these extremely hot days or during heavy exercise. The rest of the time avoid them like the plague. He told me that water is wonderful but you do need to replenish your electrolytes during the day. Said that one bottle spread out through the morning is enough as long as you keep drinking water also.

I also use a cotton long sleeve shirt that I dunk in the lake and then wear to stay cool.

Glad that you are feeling better. All of us experienced (older) guys need to be more cautious now, than when we were 20 yrs old. lol

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a good Dr. friend tell me that the sports drinks do help considerably during these extremely hot days or during heavy exercise. The rest of the time avoid them like the plague. He told me that water is wonderful but you do need to replenish your electrolytes during the day. Said that one bottle spread out through the morning is enough as long as you keep drinking water also.

I also use a cotton long sleeve shirt that I dunk in the lake and then wear to stay cool.

Glad that you are feeling better. All of us experienced (older) guys need to be more cautious now, than when we were 20 yrs old. lol
I like that "experienced" LOL.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Heat stroke is nothing to take lightly. I doesn't even take that hot of a day to happen.
Staying hydrated is a must along with the proper clothing. I try and drink a Powerade/Gatorade or two along with lots of water while I'm baking in the sun trying to catch fish.

I started wearing UPF style long sleeve fishing shirts and pants a few years back along with the neck gaiters to block all the damn UV rays I can. For years I've watched my Hispanic guys doing landscape work wearing long sleeve shirts and thought they were nuts. Surprisingly they are very cool on super hot days and dipping them in the water occasionally has kept me from feeling the affects of the heat and sun even on the hottest of P-Lo days.

There are no fish worth dying over....Stay safe fellas.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
The last several times on the lake I haven't even had a beer!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hang in there man, sounds like its about as hot as two fuzzy little bunny rabbits humping in a wool sock! I finally broke down and got a buff. I just dip it in the ice water from the cooler and wear it around my neck and sometimes pull it over my ears. cools ya right down

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
That's rough, Neal... Be careful man...

I have been using this thing while coaching my son's baseball team... it's a godsend

https://www.hivissupply.com/ergodyne-6705-evaporative-cooling-bandana.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwqIfLBRAkEiwAhtfH60-iKNkynJB-4Meqo_3ks97Gh2JLWyBY5_fiF1FTv1Fnu6bKSw_e4RoC0dcQAvD_BwE

It's the simplest thing.. it's got these gel things in it that absorb water and you basically have a band of cool gel around your neck. I swear those cheapo things are the best.

Same thing at amazon
https://www.amazon.com/MiraCool-Cooling-Bandanas-Bandanas-Cowboy/dp/B00MBWU56O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499657002&sr=8-1&keywords=neck+coolers

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the tips! The really stupid thing is I have a small area fan that fits on top of a 5-gallon bucket and blows damp cooled air. I got it last year and it works great and really eliminates insects also! I chose not to take it out because I wanted to save space:rolleyes: It also makes everything really wet which I don't care for really. I just got complacent because I have already spent over 80 days on the water with no problems. I sure as hell do not want to go thru that again!!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hang in there man, sounds like its about as hot as two fuzzy little bunny rabbits humping in a wool sock! I finally broke down and got a buff. I just dip it in the ice water from the cooler and wear it around my neck and sometimes pull it over my ears. cools ya right down

i started jumping in the lake, found out last week i should let my clients know first. its harder to splash them if they know its coming.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
i started jumping in the lake, found out last week i should let my clients know first. its harder to splash them if they know its coming.
Started??? I heard you've been known to do that at the end of September!:eek::eek: That aintright!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Neal they have those Chilly towels Pikester was talking about on sale at Murduchs for $5.99, I bought a couple to try out for that price worth a try.

·
Registered
377 Posts
As stated by others, electrolytes depletion is a usual suspect, and plain table salt is not a good answer, you need potassium primarily.

Another alternative to sports drinks:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/thermotabs-salt-supplement-buffered-tablets/ID=prod6146001-product?ext=gooPLA_-_Health_Care&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6129445&sst=c618deb6-2c55-44c1-980c-56a567e7cd0a

I learned years ago working outside in the deep south, these things worked wonders for me. Took two in the morning with a glass of water, a couple more mid-day, and went from daily heat fatigue by late morning to working all day with no fatigue and actually craved less water throughout the day. With these, you're not tempted to drink flavored sports drinks at times when you don't need and shouldn't consume extra electrolytes or sugar. For what it's worth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts