Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will once again try my best to catch a pike on my fly rod. I have tried in the past but after reading on this site it sounds like I need some more stuff. What do I look for in a good pair of jaw spreaders? Where is a good place to buy them? Also do you guys use long pliars or forceps or I have seen those pistol shaped hook removers in the catalogs. Which is better. Where should I get these. I have always used the leaders with the nylon at the end. I tie the nylon into a loop and stick it through the eye and over the fly and sinch it down. Should I be using a different leader? I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as it warms up. I just need an excuse to buy some gear right now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hatch, I like to use the pistol shaped hook removers. I just saw them at either Gander or Sportsmans. I've caught alot of Pike, but, I've never used the spreaders. Maybe I should try them,nah.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Check out Cablela's or Sportsman's Warehouse for jaw spreaders and long nose hemostats...they offer good ones for decent prices.  my advice is use 25 lb hard mono for a leader...a 6 foot section goes a long way, and you can tie it directly to your line or leader butt. its much easier to use than wire, and doesnt kink up. My pike setup is as follows:

Ross Gunnison 4 loaded with 9 wt Bass Bug Taper Scientific Angler WF floating line

a Scott SAS in 9 wt, or Sage XP in the same.  I wouldnt go smaller than an 8 wt.  any fast action rod will work i think...

for flies i fish barbless bunny leeches in 3/0....black, purple, yellow, chartruese, and red and white.  its either light or dark....if they are tied well they last forever...

a good thermometer....look for those shallows that are at least 50 degrees....they usually hold more fish in this part of the country when they spawn in May or June.
Think weed beds, mud lines, and drop offs....

a good set of waders and waterproof wind jacket...its always windy and you will be chest deep for long periods of time.  when its hot breathable waders are the way to go...

a large flybox, hemostats, jaw spreaders, and extra spools of leader material.

a good pair of polarized sunglasses and a hat, with plenty of sunscreen

oh yeah...dont forget you camera!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was lucky enough to have Barry Reyonolds as my fall baseball coach one year when I played with his son. If you are in to Pike Fishing, I would certainly recomend his two books on the subject pike on the fly, and Mastering pike on the fly. I have modelled every bit of my aproach to pike after him and personalized certain aspects of my own. I have never had the need for jaw spreaders or anything like that. There are ways to set the hook that will constanlty send the hook on the outside edge of there mouth making hook removal very easy. Sometimes however, I dont see the strike coming and I can't make my little strip set before the actually rod set, and they swallow the fly down a little deeper. I have used those pistol grip pliers and they are absolute tits! Here's a little secret for calming them down while trying to remove the hook, put your fingers over both their eyes and they will lie dormant until you let them go.

F

·
0 Posts
Don't forget guys if you have a heart condition bring the proper meds!!! Northerns strike harders than most anything in freshwater...not to mention how fast your heart starts beating when a 3 foot long toothy beast if following your fly/lure all the way up to your waders!!! Also if you have an addictive personallity just go ahead and quit your job and start apologizing to loved ones now. Pike fishing is all about adrenaline!!! Sometimes a day on the water can satisfy you and really give you gas to handle the rigors of stressful daily life, but with pike fishing as soon as you leave the lake/river all you can think about is when you're coming back!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
   Not sure what you guys are talking about I got this "36 pike last year using a 5wt rod on 5x tippet on a size 12 chrinomidge. I did use a pliers but I'm tough enough to use my 3 remaining figures to get my hook out

Fish

W

·
0 Posts
I tried noodling for pike last year in the old pond out back. Damn things bite.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Thats funny, every year you see guys at Spinney pulling in some big pike on with lightweight gear and midges while fishing for trout. its a technique i suppose, but dont think youll see Barry Reynolds trying that one on a regular basis ;)

nice fish by the way...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts