Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my elderly and blind father with me today along with a very busy 4yr old. I was looking for quick and easy action. Got schooled!!!

Moved around 3 times until I found a spot where fish were plentiful. Got frustrated when the Vex would be lit up like a Christmas tree but got very few bumps. Chucked the Vex and put my nose down the hole to watch what was going on.

These fish were genius. The larger ones would avoid any presentation I gave them. The younger ones couldn't help themselves and would take a very tactical approach. They would either suck the bait in for a micro second and spit it out trying to dislodge it from the hook or they would grab the tiny hook by the bend, no tip involved, and then shake it like a dog would when trying to kill a squeaky toy. Setting the hook only took it out of their mouths and might leave them with the food they wanted.

At one point I started dropping salmon eggs the whole to watch what would happen. Very few ever made it to the bottom without being snatched up. So, I rigged a salmon egg hook with no weight and dropped it down along with a few free floaters. Just before the eggs reached the bottom, several fish would rush in and gobble every egg EXCEPT the one with the hook in it.

Tried every jig and bait I had and caught a few but nothing that generated much excitement. Now I am sore from being hunched over a hole most of the day on my knees.

My guess is that the fish could see my line and were smart enough to know what that meant. A kind ranger who came around checking licenses told me had better luck fishing with a green colored leader than he did a clear one. Anyone have any ideas:confused:

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Try pissing them off with kastmasters tipped with a small cube of sucker/shiner meat. Ditch the fireballs and use roe. Small Tube jigs in white or chartreuse work good too. The bigger fish in the lake are holdovers that get pounded by other fisherman daily, so it's a better plan to aggravate them than it is to just let them take the bait...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Was up there tuesday pm and wed am on the south end of the lake (shallow end). Got one keeper tuesday and one dink wednesday. Saw a decent amount of fish through the hole, but no takers. Tried tip ups with wax worms, jigging spoons and even the big laker jig. All the jigs and spoons would do would attract a few fish in to look at, but thats about it. I don't remember it being this tough last year around this time, but who knows.

BTW, ice was a good 12" solid.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you want to get them on the eggs. Get some gamakatsu red single egg hooks they Come in size 10. Use 2lb or 4lb test micro ice by Berkeley. Paint your split shots red if you can to look just like your egg. Or you can try the Boss tin sticks and stones. As a guide I am forced to make it happen and stick with it for 3 hours when they are that finicky and wary.. The above method gets it done for trout when nothing else will. Try the yellow jackets instead of balls o fire.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good tips, thanks. I barely used eggs. Those were just one of MANY different baits, jigs, lures and presentations that I tried. Basically dumped the tackle box on this one. I know those fish are used to being pounded but that has been the case for many years and I've never had that much trouble before as pilotjones indicated. I mostly wanted to make this report as a testament to how smart those fish were. I was really amazed! Those fish absolutely knew when there was a hook in something and how to intentionally rip it off without getting stuck. It was really cool to be able to watch them and their shenanigans and wonder what all they have gone through to learn their tactics.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
That's a cool idea to paint your split shots red, fordo. I would try a small brassie with maybe a smidge of scent on it if nothing else works. It's something they haven't seen thru the ice and probably at all. If they mouth it at all you already have the hook in their mouth.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You definitely get my Saint on the Ice Award! Great that you got your people out on the ice like that! Sorry you didn't have better luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts