Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been absolutly JONES'N for ice!! Plus I been needing to take a day off work to just get away and relax!

So... Decided to just say F it and hit georgetown. Was FistFullaFish, My Dad, and I. I figured no sence in leaving too early :) So we decide 8am would be a good time to hit the road.

Arrived at the lake probably... O.. about 9am. Decided to start on the west side of the bridge. I walked out 1st to check the ice.. which was right at about 5" in the 1st spot i drilled :) So dad and FFF came on out and I drilled a few more holes. Ice thickness ranged from 3+ to about 5" max.

FFF starts to fish but I wanted to check the ice on the east side of the bridge. On the drive up I-70 i could see that there was a couple small spots of open water over on the very east side by the dam, but looked ok closer to the bridge.

Well i headed out on the ice east of the bridge and right by the shore the heel of my boot breaks through the ice and water proceeds through that hole like a mini-guiser. Not a good sign LOL .. Anyway walked about 15' from shore and drilled a hole.. Ice was maybe 2" thick! So i decided we should stick to the west side of the bridge for the day.

1st hole I fished was in about 3.5' of water maybe 20' west of the bridge.

Wasnt marking any fish really so i decided to explore a little.

Found 12.5' of water about another 20' west.

And immediatly start marking fish. My dad gets the 1st of the day!! A small brown trout :)

So I setup the hut and we started hitting it pretty hard. :)

Conditions were PERFECT for sight fishing!! Which my dad had never done!! He had A BLAST!!

I got the next fish. My 1st EVER brown trout!! Not a hog.. but a 1st none the less :)

Fish after fish after fish for the next hour or two. Then the bite just STOPPED!!

So I started exploring again... Found depths ranging from 3-12'.. Then found 1 small spot that was just over 13' deep. Drilled a few holesd and set the hut back up.. And once again....Fish after fish after fish for the next hour.

Then the bite once again died.... We tried for another 30 minutes or so with a fish here and there and decided to call it a day around 3PM.

We caught fish after fish almost all day. Smallest was around 3" LMAO

and Largest was a brown just over 14"

Caught multiple species.. Rainbows,

Browns,

and I believe some brookies ??

Anyway was an AWESOME day to get out.. Fishing was a BLAST!!

Picked up a new species! I think we all 3 had hat tricks? :)

Sight fishing was the key as the bite was VERY light!! FFF fished for quite a while outside the hut without nearly the success of the sight fishing from within the hut!!

Fish were caught on various jigs tipped with wax, meal, or earth worms.. Most were on waxies!! Jig didnt seem to matter as long as it was small.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Cool! That's great you could get your dad into fish!
Thanks Don!! :) Was a lot of fun!!

Can you see the pictures? For some reason they are not showing up for me :/

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I probably caught about a 1/4 of the numbers of fish you guys caught sight fishing. Sight fishing was the way to go! It was soo bizzarre how light those cookie cutter browns would hit. They were agrressive as could be, but just wouldn't commit to getting the whole jig in their mouth.
Was an awesome time, thanks for driving.
;D

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Yes, I see the pics fine. Nice pictures.
Sweet! Thanks for verifying for me Don!
Fistfullafish said:
I probably caught about a 1/4 of the numbers of fish you guys caught sight fishing. Sight fishing was the way to go! It was soo bizzarre how light those cookie cutter browns would hit. They were agrressive as could be, but just wouldn't commit to getting the whole jig in their mouth.
Was an awesome time, thanks for driving.
;D
Tried to get you to stay in the hut!!
da_teacher said:
Sick! I'll be there Saturday...so stoked! We usually make Wednesday before Turkey Day our first day on the ice but I'm getting impatient.
NICE!! Hopefully by then the ice will be thicker on the east side!!
tracker15 said:
Nice Report. Mid-week trips are a great way to relax.

Thanks. Now I'm really ready to go.
Yeah was cool to be the only people on the ice the whole day!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You definitely caught some brooks. Looks like you had favorable conditions for the lake. I've iced it 5 times and can't say the wind ever blew less than 20 mph.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Biggie Smalls said:
You definitely caught some brooks. Looks like you had favorable conditions for the lake. I've iced it 5 times and can't say the wind ever blew less than 20 mph.
Was pretty damn nice!! There was wind though.
tightliner26 said:
I drove by G-town last week that's amazing the ice is that thick now. Great report thanks.
It's that time of the year :) Ice is on!!
James said:
Awesome! Congrats on the 1st Brown too. Thanks for the report
Thanks James!! :)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Congrats on the first Brown!!!

D.J.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts