Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went up to Georgetown after school today. I have been craving to try my new auger and stuff, so my buddy and I got up to the lake around 2:00. The smaller (west) side is completely frozen, but there is open water on the other side around the bridge. We carefully made our way out to the middle of the lake, and I drilled 3 holes in about 5 minutes with my hand auger. We had a good 6" of ice, so it wasn't scary. The ice is very slick without snow cover.

It was frigid, and the wind was howlin'. We got some flurries, but no real snow. I didn't see any old holes at all. One person was fishing the open water, but he didn't get anything.

FISHING:

We rigged one rod with an orange swedish pimple tipped with a nightcrawler, one with a silver and blue kasty tipped with a salmon egg, and the third with a drop shot sinker and some salmon eggs about a foot about the sinker.

I caught three fish on the salmon egss, my friend missed one on the kasty, and the swedish pimple got one bite all day. It was awesome to get my first fish (besides some at a boy scout lake a few years ago) through the ice. The fish wanted salmon eggs a few feet off the bottom. I missed several more than I caught, but I was just learning. All the fish were small, but I can't complain about 3 fish in less than 2 hours my first time on the ice this year.

Here are the pictures.

First fish. Friend turned 18, so we had to have some stogies.

Mean muggin the 2nd fish.

BRRRR it's freezing... 3rd and final fish.

Side of the lake we fished with the storm blowing in.

Open water on the east end.

Tight Lines.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its always fun to catch fish a new way, good job stang. Itll only get better the more you learn.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
when i was coming home from dillion i saw some people on georgetown, you probley would have caught more if you had some ice jigs, i like using airplane jigs with worms threw the ice there, good start to ice fishing

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Koke: There wasn't anyone else on the ice, so that was probably us. There was another dude in one of those wind sailing ice buggy things too. I will get some airplane jigs and try that.

Pete: Yeah, I have another 4 months until I'm 18. The ice was probably 5-6" thick where we were fishing, and it thinned out as you got closer to the bridge.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nice job Mustang! Georgetown can be a cold, windy lake but it usually gives up some fish, and on occasion a few large specimens. Were you fishing the west side in front of the houses or did you go on the main lake? Another jig I have good luck with for trout are Rat Finkes. They don't look like much but trout love them! Good Luck, and welcome to a new Addiction! Looney.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
that slick ice will get ya too, i fell and busted my a$$ a couple years ago there at g-town and i got a lot of a$$ to bust, i wear spikes now always at early ice especially when trying to drill holes with a power auger on that slick stuff.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Mustang --- nice report. Was that your 1st time fishing through the ice? I saw you BPS hat, did you get the auger there? I'm asking because they have one in there ad I was thinking about picking up. It was on sale for $30, and the handle could telescope. 3 holes in 5 minutes sounds good.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was not y first time fishing through the ice, i fished ice all last winter, it was my first time catching through the ice...to think i spent all last winter not catching anything, and my first time out i get some...fishing is crazy

i did get the auger at BPS on sale for 30 or 40, works like a charm, and the hole drilling warms u right up before u sit down to freeze

and good eyes to pick out the bps hat in those pictures, haha

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
he said to go stare at some open water in my bathtub...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts