Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! What a windy and snowy day. If you were stuck in that West bound I-70 mess I am sorry for you. Thankfully me and my visiting cousin-in-law made it up there before it got too bad. Fished a couple of places and caught a few before ending up in the cove on the far side of the rock island. Fished in 5-6' FOW using Ratsos and various other ice jigs tipped with the old wax worm. The Vex performed beautifully! Even though the water was shallow and the cone was small I could not believe the definition it picked up. We landed 15 trout and did some sight fishing to better understand what all the lights meant. I had my cousin watching the Vex to tell me what he thought was going on while I had my head down the hole to confirm it. If you have not used a Vex, here is a sample of what you can see: While using a small splitshot with a tiny jig suspended 10" beneath I could see both the sinker and the jig on my LED. I could tell when a fish was there and whether he was bumping the sinker or the bait. I tried several baits and I could tell when a fish swam up to it. If that happened a couple of times and the bait was never taken I would switch baits. Did this a few times until I found the bait that the fish were fighting each other for. Without the VEX I would never know what was going on down there. As far as the "New Equipment Curse," I am happy to have dodged it on the first go 'round. The fish we caught were small, 6-13." One Brown, 2 cutbow and all the rest rainbow. Most of the male bows are real dark and are ready to start squirting. Now I am even more excited to get out to places like Williams Fork, Grandby, Gross (If it will freeze again) 11-mile and other places where the water is deep and monsters lurk. I thank those of you who gave me some tips in using my latest toy. I love it! Next time I use it I hope the wind is not packing it full of snow so quickly as it was today.

Also, I noticed a pick-up drive out onto the lake and the guys were setting up cones form the vehicle access point out to the rock island. I assume they are preparing for the jeep races?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Pikester, welcome to the "curse" of the Vexilar!!! ;)  Good luck ever trying to fish without it again.  LOL...  Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.   Way to use it to determine when to change lures/jigs often, that is what it helps with the most IMO.  When you get lookers that don't bite, you know it, and when you change and they start to bite you can't help but feel that the vex helped you catch them. I've been a "victim" of the curse for 9 years now, but I'm not complaining. ;D  Try  one of those round, magnifying covers for your vex, it does a great job of keeping snow out of the lens area.  Looney.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
when you go to williams fork just don't be suprised if the vex reads funny with all those big rocks in there, mine always seems to when we fish the dam side of the lake.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I noticed that I could see my swivel and my jig when using my flasher (Lowrance, not vex). Cool stuff. I got tired of seeing two things go up and down and eventually turned the sensitivity down to just see the jig! Minimum number of bars to look at made it easier to keep my focus where it needed to be (the fish and the jig).

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
jamiehughes said:
when you go to williams fork just don't be suprised if the vex reads funny with all those big rocks in there, mine always seems to when we fish the dam side of the lake.
ruedi is the same way. You might get 8 ft of false bottom.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats on your new Vex.   You will like it.   I have had mine 5 years and wouldn't fish without it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm being careful to follow all the instructions. I was in bed last night at 1:30 when I remembered that I had not plugged it in to re-charge. I had to leap out of bed at that moment and go plug it in. Couldn't wait until morning. I wanted to get one of those covers for it when I bought it but they were sold out. I have one ordered.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just wanted to add to the comment on false bottom readings.... as noted before, a large rock (or stump for that matter) can cause the vex to show a false bottom. Another situation that leads to false bottom readings is fishing over a sloped bottom. The vex will show bottom where the cone first hits bottom. A "higher" false bottom reading will result from a steeper slope. Depth of water also plays a factor in how "high" the false bottom reading will be. The owners manual does a good job of illustrating this point. I generally perfer to fish the transition where a slope meets a flat so I keep drilling until I find it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not sure if anyone else noticed this. Most of my bites come on the edge of the false bottom. Especially when the bottom is boulders. A trick I've used to get the fish (lakers) interested is drop down into the false bottom until the jig stops - true bottom. Let is set for 30 seconds or so. Reel fast to a foot or three above the false bottom and stop. Many times I've had a fish (or more) check out that jig that just came blasting out of the rocks. Sometimes I get a bite somtimes they swim away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts