Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! What a windy and snowy day. If you were stuck in that West bound I-70 mess I am sorry for you. Thankfully me and my visiting cousin-in-law made it up there before it got too bad. Fished a couple of places and caught a few before ending up in the cove on the far side of the rock island. Fished in 5-6' FOW using Ratsos and various other ice jigs tipped with the old wax worm. The Vex performed beautifully! Even though the water was shallow and the cone was small I could not believe the definition it picked up. We landed 15 trout and did some sight fishing to better understand what all the lights meant. I had my cousin watching the Vex to tell me what he thought was going on while I had my head down the hole to confirm it. If you have not used a Vex, here is a sample of what you can see: While using a small splitshot with a tiny jig suspended 10" beneath I could see both the sinker and the jig on my LED. I could tell when a fish was there and whether he was bumping the sinker or the bait. I tried several baits and I could tell when a fish swam up to it. If that happened a couple of times and the bait was never taken I would switch baits. Did this a few times until I found the bait that the fish were fighting each other for. Without the VEX I would never know what was going on down there. As far as the "New Equipment Curse," I am happy to have dodged it on the first go 'round. The fish we caught were small, 6-13." One Brown, 2 cutbow and all the rest rainbow. Most of the male bows are real dark and are ready to start squirting. Now I am even more excited to get out to places like Williams Fork, Grandby, Gross (If it will freeze again) 11-mile and other places where the water is deep and monsters lurk. I thank those of you who gave me some tips in using my latest toy. I love it! Next time I use it I hope the wind is not packing it full of snow so quickly as it was today.

Also, I noticed a pick-up drive out onto the lake and the guys were setting up cones form the vehicle access point out to the rock island. I assume they are preparing for the jeep races?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm being careful to follow all the instructions. I was in bed last night at 1:30 when I remembered that I had not plugged it in to re-charge. I had to leap out of bed at that moment and go plug it in. Couldn't wait until morning. I wanted to get one of those covers for it when I bought it but they were sold out. I have one ordered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts