Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has never been ice fishing before and has never wanted to. She rolls her eyes in disgust every time I mention fishing. She cries at the thought of crushing a miller moth. Sigh... Yep, I have a girly girl.

Her Christmas present to me this year is that she would go out ice fishing with me, once! That is a huge step for her!

I had to plan well. No going to tin-buck-tu. I needed a place that had bathrooms and a town nearby and a place where we did not have to drag the sled a long distance. I also wanted a place where the action would be fast and furious so that there was not a chance of getting bored. Also needed to pick a time when the weather was not miserable. I may only get one shot at making a good impression and of ever having the chance of her wanting to go out again.

Then, it happened. I got a job that I start on the 27th that will require me to work on weekends when she is out of school and the 22-23rd are booked with her plans. That left one available day - MLK. I really didn't want to try this during a high wind and winter storm warning but off we went.

It was nearly 50 degrees when we left Thornton at 6:00am. It started raining at Genesee and rained all the way to Georgetown. There it was 34 degrees with a rain/snow mix and coming down horizontal. the surface of the ice had no snow but there were puddles all over from the rain. We parked and watched it for a while. I apologized to her that conditions were so nasty and that I badly wanted her to have a good experience. We went to Valero for a capacinno and went back to the lake to watch it some more. By this time the rain had turned to all snow and was turning the surface to slush which was encouraging but the wind was still strong enough to bounce a parked Cherokee.

Finally it broke enough that we decided to give it a try. I already knew right where the river channel was small side of the lake so I quickly punched our holes through 14" and set up the fish trap while she held it to keep it from tumbling across the lake.

We dove in and zipped ourselves out of the weather. I set up the vex in 11' fow and baited her Ratzo with a waxie while she squirmed and asked me if there was any way to fish without hurting the worms. She dropped it down the hole and had her first brown trout bouncing on the ice within 60 seconds. Dropped it again and up came a rainbow 30 seconds later. We never had much of a lull in fishing and the wind kept us busy trying to keep the holes inside of our tent. When the wind died from a hurricane to a gale the snow picked up in intensity and accumulated about 3" while we were there. That gave her the chance to make snow angels.

I had plenty of junk food and Dr. Pepper on hand for her to enjoy. That was important! She decided to stop fishing after icing her 5th trout and we just shared great conversation while she watched me catch another dozen. None of the fish were big. 11" was the largest. She didn't want any of them hurt so we sent them all back swimming.

As soon as she started complaining about cold feet I knew it was time to pack up before a good experience went bad. We beat the ski traffic home and she admitted that she had a lot more fun than she expected to have. I think she may even be willing to try it again sometime. Despite the nasty conditions I think I will call the day a success. Whew!!

Oh yeah, she got over the dead worms ;D

Now about those fish, they were small, skinny, plentiful and willing to bite most anything. Are they overpopulated in there or is there just not a very good food source for them?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cleats are normally a very good idea at that lake but this time was different. The snow that was falling was really wet and it was sticking to the wet surface of the ice. It was a little bit slick when we went out but not bad because slush was starting to form. By the time we left I was having to drag the sled through 3" of snow. Traction was not a problem on this day.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Nice! You'd think with that wind it'd blow that snow right off or freeze it and turn it to ice virtually right away. Good job getting out and glad the teenager had a fun first trip out. Thats a great spot for newbs!

You get your ol man out still?

Rob

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
§limer said:
Nice! You'd think with that wind it'd blow that snow right off or freeze it and turn it to ice virtually right away. Good job getting out and glad the teenager had a fun first trip out. Thats a great spot for newbs!

You get your ol man out still?

Rob
I'd like to get dad out again but it has gotten so difficult. He has really gotten feeble. Between blindness and everything else about his body that is failing it is difficult for him to even move about the house. He would be in a nursing home if Mom was not doing well enough to take care of him. He still has his wits about him and can talk your ear off but his body has sure failed him.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for the post. Having three daughters the youngest being 17 now, that story brought some good and bad ice fishing memories,good luck getting her back out.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Well done! Nothing beats kids out fishing, and having fun! Keep yer eye out here in the next month or so, as I would imagine that the 3rd annual Toilet Bowl tournament will be taking shape here soon! If unclear about the TB Tourny, it's a great tournament that involves parents and their kids. I would say it really focuses on the youngsters. I bet you and your daughter would have lots of fun!

Jim

·
Registered
490 Posts
Wow, you scored big, I need to take notes in case my daughter ever loses her fishing fever. Sounds as if you have this down to a science, congratulations!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts