Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any info or tips for Georgetown--thickness of ice, techniques, etc? Looking to head up with scuba_steve tomorrow to freeze my buns off and hopefully catch a fish or two...or three...or four...and so forth. Is it easy to get around--we both have small sedans.

Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, it is super easy to get around. You can park on the road by the dam and walk over or park further west by the bridge and walk down either side. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which lake holds more fish--the smaller one or bigger one? And what's this is here about the wind and moving water by the bridge--are we talking the bridge that connects the two lakes?

M

·
0 Posts
da_teacher said:
Which lake holds more fish--the smaller one or bigger one? And what's this is here about the wind and moving water by the bridge--are we talking the bridge that connects the two lakes?
It's actually just one lake. There will be moving water under and by the bridge - don't walk over it even if it looks frozen. You'll probably fall through if you do (the ice never really freezes to any good thickness there). Most people ice fish it on the east side of the bridge.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Try small tube jigs like crappie jigs in white or pink with one or two wax worms on the hook.  It is usually non stop action for small stocker size bows.  I have seen a few big browns pulled out as well though.  Fish around 15 fow or so.  It is usually very windy and cold.  Keep everything in your bucket and sit on it if your not using it.  I have seen numerous buckets go blowing across that lake. If you take a hut make sure you anchor it! I have been blown across that lake in a hut before and trust me it is not fun even though it is quite comical to see!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made it to Georgetown...in TWO HOURS! Traffic was horrible!!!!!!!! Weather was nice...not too breezy, not too cold. Dug a few holes while being laughed at by the large group of fisherman near us since they had a gas powered auger and we were going old school. Ice was about 10-12 inches thick. We fished east of the bridge. I got three trout and scuba_steve got the good ol' skunko'. I should have landed more but it was my first time out on the ice in ages but first time actually fishing on the ice--pretty damn scary at first but I was okay after awhile.

My three hit a crappie jig tipped with a mealworm. Other groups around us were pretty successful--some browns were being pulled through the ice and another dude from a different group landed a monster bow.

Here's my first monster:

Here's scuba_steve taking a dump in his bucket...oh wait, he's jigging. ha ha

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
o_O nice ...

ill get u on saturday! ill bring out the my secret weapon!

M

·
0 Posts
Form the looks of it you guys were in a decent spot! Sounds like it was a fun day (despite the long drive). Just wait until January and February when the "Our Gang" jeep club starts running their races up there - good stuff to watch while fishing.

I meant to say east of the bridge in the previous post (sorry about that). By the dam is another popular area though I've never fished the ice there - I've heard that you have to keep a heads up if you're in a shelter that isn't anchored as the wind may blow you over the spillway.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Scuba_Steve, are those tennis shoes your are wearing? I've seen some Yeahoos do that before but they all regretted it. I hope your feet stayed warm and dry. I'll stick with my Sorrels.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yuppers, you should have seen scuba_steve slip on the ice--he was like Wile E. Coyote running in place in the air but instead, he was on the ice the BAM, he bit it. HILARIOUS!!!! I was wearing some tennies too but some Nike ACG's so they had some grip to them. Besides the hand powered auger, maybe that's why the other group was laughing at us--our shoes!!!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
What is it with you tennis shoe guys?!?

You guys must be pumping antifreeze through your veins - tennies are not exactly designed for being on ice - now, if they were hockey skates...

Nice fish, tho. Need to get up there sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
lol whats wrong with tennis shoes, i always wear tennis shoes!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Went up fishing Georgetown on Tuesday, nice day, very little wind except for the one big gust that sent our sled and two buckets flying. Fished mid lake half way out, wanted to try out the new Auqa view I got for Christmas. Water was little murcky down 10 feet but no trouble seeing fish..... I think they liked the camera. Caught 6 trout one nice fat one that was 16 inches the rest were small. Using some green ice critters in about a size 10 with meal worms.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What's even worse is if you look closer, scuba_steve is wearing ankle high socks! ha ha but so was I. Hopefully the weather will be cool on Saturday so we can go again.

·
Registered
765 Posts
COLD CASE said:
With tennis shoes you can sneak up on the fish, very quiet and they won't know you're there J/K.
LOL! That's hilarious! Several years ago I took a Texas college boy up to Wolford during his spring break. He was wearing tennis shoes. As we drove through Kremmling the temp was -3. I don't know what he was expecting in March. No warm beaches here, just 3 feet on concrete on that lake. We stopped at the grocery store and he got some plastic bags that he put his sock feet into and then his sneakers on top of that. Stayed dry but was freezing. I told him he would have to keep the circulation going in order to keep his toes and therefore I would allow him to use the hand auger to cut all my holes. Crazy kid thought I was serious and did it. He cut several holes through 3' of ice. I didn't know what was going to get him first, frost bite or a heart attack.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
pikester said:
COLD CASE said:
With tennis shoes you can sneak up on the fish, very quiet and they won't know you're there J/K.
LOL! That's hilarious! Several years ago I took a Texas college boy up to Wolford during his spring break. He was wearing tennis shoes. As we drove through Kremmling the temp was -3. I don't know what he was expecting in March. No warm beaches here, just 3 feet on concrete on that lake. We stopped at the grocery store and he got some plastic bags that he put his sock feet into and then his sneakers on top of that. Stayed dry but was freezing. I told him he would have to keep the circulation going in order to keep his toes and therefore I would allow him to use the hand auger to cut all my holes. Crazy kid thought I was serious and did it. He cut several holes through 3' of ice. I didn't know what was going to get him first, frost bite or a heart attack.
that's too funny but trust me, we'll be better prepared next time. we actually went to costco
today to buy some sorel's but they were sold out--well, they had one pair left but they were a size 12! cheap though, only 29.99. not sure how much they're at other stores but that sounded like a deal to me.

any ideas on where to get a good deal on a pair of sorels?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts