Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since ice fishing sucks, I was thinnin' of taking the boat to Carter monday. Worth it? And no, I aint gonna fish at night!:eek:

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
If the bite is anything like Chatfield has been prior to the boating shutdown it would be a worthwhile trip. Is Carter still open?

Plus even a bad day fishing is way better than a good day at work, so I'd say go for it.

And post pics or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Think Carter closed to boating on Nov. 31st, eh.

Disregard.

"Note: Boat ramps will cease operations on Sunday December 14. Ramps will remain operational with the hours listed below as weather conditions allow until that date.

Ramps will also be closed on the Thanksgiving Holiday, but will reopen on Friday 11/28.

The Department anticipates opening at least one ramp at Carter Lake Reservoir and Horsetooth Reservoir near the end of March 2015 to kick off the 2015 boating season."

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Two things:

1. That ain't no place for meat hunters.

2. **** daylight hours. If you change your mind, you might run into one of these past your bedtime:

Seriously, I have had limited luck there in the day time (early afternoon). Never been there in the early morning. With your legendary skills, it might be a different story.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
not too many left, nice fish AO
That is the only laker I have ever caught out of Carter. It would be sick to have a fishery with a good laker population in or near the metro area! That lake has a lot of potential, but I think I prefer it to be what it is now: a sleeper lake. I like taking my kids there for camping trips. Not many fish caught but where else can you wet a line and go hike in the mountains in the same day near town?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
That is the only laker I have ever caught out of Carter. It would be sick to have a fishery with a good laker population in or near the metro area! That lake has a lot of potential, but I think I prefer it to be what it is now: a sleeper lake. I like taking my kids there for camping trips. Not many fish caught but where else can you wet a line and go hike in the mountains in the same day near town?
they finally stopped feeding the pig eyes kokes....took them long enough. Carter and the tooth are fun lakes, cost just sucks. dig them both though.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are Splake! We caught some this time of year dunking bait by the inlet a few years ago. IN THE DAY! cOOL- i THINK IM GONNA GO-

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I was wondering couldnt remember if the tail fin on splake and lakers are different...and dont some lakers get sucked out of where carter's water is pumped in from?...

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The DOW says all thats in Carter is Splake. Some splake look like lakers, while some look like brookies. Most are somewhere in between.

Used to get them in Granby for a few years, and also Cheeseman.

Hey AO you got a pic of the tail?

Most Splake have a more square tail than the deep V of the laker.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I've caught Macs at Carter and Horestooth...
BUT, that was many, MANY Moons ago...
Circa early 70's.....
Daily fee ($14) was non-existant back then.
I think it was a $5 entry fee... for anyone..

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Those are Splake! We caught some this time of year dunking bait by the inlet a few years ago. IN THE DAY! cOOL- i THINK IM GONNA GO-
Whatever, whatever. Tomeito, Tomahto... No pics of the tail...

I was wondering couldnt remember if the tail fin on splake and lakers are different...and dont some lakers get sucked out of where carter's water is pumped in from?...
There are both splakes and lakers in Carter. Both splakes and lakers have forked tails, but the tail of a laker is "more forked." I didn't take the time to look at how much "fork" there was on that fish's tail. Prolly couldn't have told the difference anyway... Kind of like saying that both chimpanzees and bonobos have hair on their heads but the bonobo's head hair is longer... It's all Chinese to me... :D I read somewhere that lakers have more of a smell to them. Maybe you could have told by how much more it smelled like ass, Z?.. :D

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Whatever, whatever. Tomeito, Tomahto... No pics of the tail...

There are both splakes and lakers in Carter. Both splakes and lakers have forked tails, but the tail of a laker is "more forked." I didn't take the time to look at how much "fork" there was on that fish's tail. Prolly couldn't have told the difference anyway... Kind of like saying that both chimpanzees and bonobos have hair on their heads but the bonobo's head hair is longer... It's all Chinese to me... :D I read somewhere that lakers have more of a smell to them. Maybe you could have told by how much more it smelled like ass, Z?.. :D
LOL...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts