Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully some of you guys are getting out and hitting the water, especially with the weather we have had, and are forecasted to have in the coming weeks.

Went out and hit one of my favorite front range spots on Presidents day- weather was great, albeit a little windy. Flows were PERFECT, I couldn't believe it, this can be one of my favorite times of year.

This past weekend, hit a spot in Eagle county. Once again, perfect flows, no ice whatsoever on the river. Got into some decent fish and saw three species- browns, bows and cutthroat.

The cutthroat was landed by hooking the trailer hook of a broken off rig...that was still attached to the fish ???? Might have been one of my best catches, one fish and two flies.

Next time I will actually include some pictures, all of the pictures I took were too revealing :spy: and there are far too many savvy individuals (hot spotters) on this site ;D.

Hope everyone is able to get out and enjoy pre run off conditions!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Looking for the BWO's!!!!

Soon if not already happening.

Hope to find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Looking for the BWO's!!!!

Soon if not already happening.

Hope to find out tomorrow.
They'rrrrrrrre heeeeerrrrre.

Just heard of sightings down by the diversion so I would surmise PP and up:target:
Can't get out for sure till Saturday:( (Might sneak out Thursday)
That means sharing the river with all the spaghetti and meatballers; the guide string and eggers; The Andys.

Let me know how you did 'behind the boathouse' lurker!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something funny that I forgot to mention. On one stretch of the river there were some houses that had decks that overlooked the river and where we were fishing.

Had a couple of young brothers, neither one could have been older than 10, watching us fish and chirping us the whole time. On every drift one of the kids was saying.."strike"...."strike" every time my fly bumped the bottom. In the end I hear one of them say "man, its about time he gets a good drift".

I looked up at my friend to see if he had heard it or if I had heard it correctly, he was doubled over laughing so hard he almost fell in. Pretty hilarious, those kids had to get it from somewhere. I imagine their dad is grooming them based off of "A River Runs Through It".

Anyways, I hope to see some reports. My next "report" will actually have some pictures. Slab/Lurker, would love to see what's going on down your way.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Lurker will post his adventure. He's out now but he is technologically resistant so it takes him a couple of days to get stuff loaded.lol. Takes me days to load, edit video, export stills....So late next week. Lol

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Confirmation....BWO's are here.

Caught a couple on the dry, so nice. It is a bit of an adjustment from watching a bobber to finding a size 22 BWO though.

But well worth it.

Will get on the water again Sat/Sun. :thumb:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As promised, some real MONSTERS. Had a great weekend and was able to get out both Saturday and Sunday to some different water. Saturday was great, got to drop in and explore an unknown (to me) area- the options are pretty endless. Had to hike in just over 3 miles to drop into it and, of course, I didn't bring wading shoes or anything with me so when I did have to get in the water, I had to go barefoot. Pretty tough on this tender foot. Hopefully I can get back in that area soon and go more prepared to explore more of the river, I am pretty confident it doesn't see many flies and that makes me pretty happy. Saturday's bugs were a hare's ear soft hackle and a skinny nelson. Had one come up to the surface and take a swipe at my yarn indicator so I switched to a sz 14 adams and stuck him ;D. While I might pretend to know what I am doing, I don't, and its always rewarding when you can target a fish specifically and bring it to the net.

Sunday was great and I got past the crowds but not the wind. Fortunately the river meandered enough to allow me to get into areas that weren't being blasted. Once again a hares ear soft hackle did the trick paired with a tung teaser. And, despite my fishing companions best efforts, I did land half a dozen pretty 10-12" fish. He's learning and getting better but sometimes I think I would prefer someone standing next to me throwing rocks in the hole I'm fishing.

Hope to get out again this weekend and explore some more new areas that require some leg work. Sunday could be a good BWO day....

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
meh, I'll find 'em. It's smaller water but I know there are some big guys in there. I'll take dinks over crowds any day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts