Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't caught a fish since March 12th... been skunked the last few times I've been out. Between working like a dog, moving to Longmont, a custody battle (I filed for 50/50), and studying for my last CPA exam I haven't been able to fish at optimal times of day either.

I've been trying to fish the jerkbait even though I'm new to it and have yet to catch a fish on one. The last time I went out I fished for cats and carp, both of which I've never targeted but since I was going out at night and the other guys were targeting them I figured I'd join in... no luck.

My plan to break the skunk is to go back to what works for me... a kastmaster, a wacky or Texas rigged senko, and a nightcrawler (not all at the same time).

Somethings gotta give... I can't remember what it feels like to have a fish on!

My dad sent me this yesterday saying it reminded him of me. Not sure if it's about fishing or a double entendre... also not sure if he realized it could be a double entendre...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jkaboom - Thanks! It's been a busy year so far. Last test is May 27!!!

Try a fluke or other soft jerk-postspawn is a great time to throw one.
Ed, thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot. I tried dropshotting a fluke without success. I'll try fishing it like a jerkbait.

Come out with me sometime. Ill put you on fish.
I have your number, we'll try and get together in June after my test.

·
P I K E
10,274 Posts
I got skunked there last Friday!!! Granted I was mainly trying for cats at night.

I should've thrown out a nightcrawler... would've at least caught a dink.
First step would be to use the search function in the forum to find ways to not get skunked at the ponds!!! :madgrin::madgrin::madgrin: LMAO!!! J/K!!!

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Get some 3 1/2" - 4" tubes and rig them weedless on a worm hook.. that should produce real good right now wherever the smallies/largies are. Look for structure, and cast around it until you find a fish... Move a lot and remember what triggered the fish. Work the bottom and middle of the water columns with a slow twitch retrieve and a slow swim now and then. have fun, man.. it will happen.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First step would be to use the search function in the forum to find ways to not get skunked at the ponds!!! :madgrin::madgrin::madgrin: LMAO!!! J/K!!!
I combed the archives before we went!!!

Get some 3 1/2" - 4" tubes and rig them weedless on a worm hook.. that should produce real good right now wherever the smallies/largies are. Look for structure, and cast around it until you find a fish... Move a lot and remember what triggered the fish. Work the bottom and middle of the water columns with a slow twitch retrieve and a slow swim now and then. have fun, man.. it will happen.
I haven't been throwing tubes. I've been trying to learn to fish jerkbaits but I'm ready to switch it up seeing as they haven't been working for me, most likely I'm fishing them wrong!

Just throw a kasty or slender spoon in Mallard. If you don't catch anything, I'll buy you a six pack.
Mallard was one of the ponds we didn't fish. We hit pintail, coot, yellow legs, and killdeer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts