Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the Colo yesterday and took three diggers in the river. The thing is I never went down in a river until I turned 40 and three times yesterday and probably my 7 over all this year ;D Maybe if your 40 plus felt soles are still okay, yea thats it blame it on the new vibram rubber soles. Do the new Simms boots come with built in ball bearings. Guess I need to exercise a little more because if I'm in fast water my feet feel like their 100 lbs and a few years back I would tank around pretty much any where in the river. Also I have never wore a wading belt but from now on it needs to go on and maybe a helmet because thats next splitting my head on a big rock. Even though I was wet and a liilte cold yesterday was one of my best days around Pump House and no camera oh well but the Browns are on fire right now.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
It is the soles, they are going to kill a lot of people who are used to felt and I hope the industry gets sued back to the stone age.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My old Simms where felt with the studs and I thought the studs turned them into a pair of ice skates. In the water they where great but rock hopping the bank was a different story. Slowdown what type of add on are you talking about because I need something. I wear spikes that velcro on my boots for ice fishing but I can't see something like that staying in place for river fishing.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I'm wearing the studded Stealth soles(the ones before the Streamtread) and now that they are worn a bit, they are treacherous. It is just a matter of time before I hurt myself. I looked around yesterday for some studded felt, but I can't find any. I gotta find a solution.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I wrote to Korkers asking them where I can get one of the first 400 sets of an experimental rubber tread and have not heard back, I may call them to get in their ear directly.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I am one that is going against the grain on this. I use straight felt and love it. I have seen far too many people fall with the other products...all of em.

So, here is my solution, and it is easy... Get formula 409 and keep a pan of it in your garage.. When you get home, dip your felt. Problem solved.

No one wants to talk about how to use felt and still protect the environment. That is because the big boys (Simms, korkers, etc) want everyone to buy the latest and greatest. The problem is they will go through many many types of "latest and greatest" selling you a new set of boots each time. I don't for a second think this big push by Simms especially, is simply because of the environment. They are making a killing on it.

I understand this is just good business, but you will not hear a shop owner telling you to cure your felt and be safe rather than put on the vibram and go on your arse.......

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Koldkut said:
I wrote to Korkers asking them where I can get one of the first 400 sets of an experimental rubber tread and have not heard back, I may call them to get in their ear directly.
I talked to a shop owner who said he has been demo-ing a new pair of Korkers for the last few months and he strongly encouraged me to wait until January before purchasing new boots.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
this is a really interesting topic! I have felt sole boots, and was considering "upgrading" to the vibram soles this year. Really my only complaint is when I'm walking in snow, it collects a good 4" - 6" of snow on the bottom of the boots, making walking interesting. But hey, I get to feel what it's like to be one of you tall guys. ;D

Looks like I'll be sticking with felt.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
They can have my felt when they pry it from my cold dead feet ;D I bought a bunch of the replacement felt that you glue on yourself on clearance, should keep me going until I am old like Trout ;D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I use the korker felt with studs and like them alot.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
slowdown said:
Trout, they sell what amounts to small machine screws to put in the bottom of the boots. flip them over you will see where they go.

Only put a few in the front. That way it acts more like an anchor. the ones that had them everyhere were bad when the felt wore out, as the rocks would ride on the metal and off you would go.

With these you put them just in the toe section so that they act like mini-crampons. The vibram sticks to the rocks and the screws grip it better.
I will try a few screws on the front and see if that helps if not I will take them to a shoe shop and have them convertered to felt. Other then built in bearings ;D there good boots actually the second pair in about 12 years so I'm definatly getting my money out of Simms products.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Im going to put my 2cents worth here, i am 57 yrs old and i too have had felt soles studded and non studded, i bought thesimms freestone streamtread and about ready to buy the simms rivershed boot for backup , the key to these soles is to purchase the starcleats, at 39.95 its worth a dunking , and yes i fish every weekend across the state, the gunnison,roaring fork,fryingpan,east,taylor rivers. Notice the key word here starcleats.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Where is the fountain of youth?
as for the rest un- studed felt is the sizzzzzyy's -- I did the "sticky's" ( trying to help the waters) and they suck b, but skating around in the for one winter season taught me to never leave the fountain again --- FELT FOREVER!!
And age is a Bitc h

1 - 20 of 47 Posts