Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured with some of the things posted lately it looks like the forum could use some more fishing related threads..... I'll put something up in reports in the next few days, but for now, here's my new project reel. Well the reel's not exactly new I've had it for a little bit. Anyway started out with an A.G. gen 3 winch put in the ceramic boca bearings, titanium plated worm drive, carbon fiber handle, and a couple other parts ...for anyone who's never tried the ceramic bearing they do make a difference, this is the first reel I ever put 'em in and it really does cast nicely. I went out the other night and the wind was ripping casted into it for several hours, definitely felt the difference with the new bearing.

Here it is:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ummmm that posted kinda funny.... posting this from my phone....

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And my other addition to vampire shift equipment: Springfield xds 45. 230gr hydra shok. Beats packing wood steaks. On a side note I found buffalo boar makes a 255gr hard cast +p 45acp good way to maximize the round for animal defense... still wouldn't be comfortable around grizzly's with just the 45 auto ..

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have caught a few fish on the new reel..... hmmmm not exactly what I was lookin' for: did a lot of casting the other night....felt I missed a good bite ...continued casting and ended up with this. Not sure if the first tap was a bite or not... I hit another new spot too... nothing there but man was it snaggy! There's been a lot of discussion about line types on here lately... I guess you pay a lil more for braid and a lil less for lures.... I've been using 40# suffix 832 tied into 30# yozuri hybrid for night fishing it saved me a number of lures the other night. Ripped the hooks off a few jerk baits and brought in a few tree branches..

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Which is exactly why I want my baitcaster with braid on it, had to many snags/lost lures that could of been avoided!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
And my other addition to vampire shift equipment: Springfield xds 45. 230gr hydra shok. Beats packing wood steaks. On a side note I found buffalo boar makes a 255gr hard cast +p 45acp good way to maximize the round for animal defense... still wouldn't be comfortable around grizzly's with just the 45 auto ..
Just stick with the Hydrashoks in your 45! I have found that hardcast or flat point bullets have feeding problems in my 45s. If you are more worried about animal defence then just carry some quality FMJ bullets! You will get better penetration with those than with hollowpoints. I use hardcast in my revolvers though!! Both the 357 and 44.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Neal, I'll prolly just stick with hydrashoks anyway. The only time I really feel like I'm carrying a pistol for animal defense is packin out elk. Don't wanna carry a riffle with the heavy loaded pack, and have known lions have been around. I'd normally carry my full size 45. But I would like to get a revolver for out in the woods. I might get one sometime soon.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Thanks Neal, I'll prolly just stick with hydrashoks anyway. The only time I really feel like I'm carrying a pistol for animal defense is packin out elk. Don't wanna carry a riffle with the heavy loaded pack, and have known lions have been around. I'd normally carry my full size 45. But I would like to get a revolver for out in the woods. I might get one sometime soon.
Double Tap now has a 200 grain hardcast bullet at 1200 fps for my 357. I feel pretty confident in the woods in Colorado with seven of those in my revolver:D

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Double Tap now has a 200 grain hardcast bullet at 1200 fps for my 357. I feel pretty confident in the woods in Colorado with seven of those in my revolver:D
Nice! What is that model that's a seven shot?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine is a S&W 620 with the half lug. They still make the 686 Pro with the full lug. Both are L frames and seven shots.
Nice! I'd like to get a S&W...I like 357 used to shoot a couple of em my buddies dad had growing up. I like it how 38spl can be shot too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts