Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just published a video aimed at helping those considering taking up fly fishing. Basic 101 kinda stuff ... so likely not going to be anything new and exciting for most on this forum ... but would love feedback and also suggestions on other topics / struggles that everyone goes thru as a new fly fisherman. Much appreciated!

YouTube Video Here -->

·
Registered
326 Posts
Great video Dan! I like your nymph selections. Squirmy worm, rs2 and zebra midge would be in my top 5 as well. My only suggestion is for beginners a three nymph rig can be tricky. Two is much more manageable. Good point about casting! At least for nymphing rivers. Stillwater fishing is a different animal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Troutbiscuits for the great feedback. And glad to hear 3 of my favorites align with yours! And completely agree that for beginner, the double is preferable to the triple for simplicity sake (and just goes to show it's really hard to remember exactly what it feels like when you're starting brand new at fly fishing!!). As for stillwater, I see that as my next great challenge and hoping to work on that a lot this Summer. Should be fun and I have a LOT to learn.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah man! I love stillwater fishing because it opens up alot of options for different species. So far this year I have caught Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Hybrid Bluegill, Gizzard Shad, Common Carp, Yellow Perch, Black Crappie, and Wiper on the fly. All within 15 miles from my house. Only two of those species I pulled out of the river. I have to say though you are a far better nymph fisherman than I am. You catch some nice trout for sure!

·
Registered
481 Posts
As I get older I lean more towards lake fishing from my pontoon (9 foot Bucks Bag). I still brave the Gunnison and San Miguel rivers from time to time but certainly not without a wading stick. There is plenty of literature on stream fishing so I though I would add some of the books that I have used/read over the years about lake fishing.
For a start - the "Curtis Creek Manifesto" is a nice primer. Not the end all and be all of fly fishing but it does get you started in the right direction.
For specifically lake fishing I recommend the following - some of which you should be able to find in a library or perhaps a friend my have a copy to lend.
1. Lake Fishing with a Fly - Ron Cordes and Randall Kaufmann
2. Fly Fishing the Mountain Lakes - Gary LaFontaine
3. Float Tube Fly Fishing - Deke Meyer
4. Advanced lake Fly Fishing "The Skillful Tuber" - Robert Alley
5 Fly Fishing Trout Lakes- Skip Morris and Brian Chan

Not specifically about how to fish lakes but a great book for fly patterns for lakes
1. Fly Patterns for Stillwaters "A study of trout, Entomology and Tying" - Philip Rowley.
Probably most of the lake flies I use have come from this book.

Good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I get older I lean more towards lake fishing from my pontoon (9 foot Bucks Bag). I still brave the Gunnison and San Miguel rivers from time to time but certainly not without a wading stick. There is plenty of literature on stream fishing so I though I would add some of the books that I have used/read over the years about lake fishing.
For a start - the "Curtis Creek Manifesto" is a nice primer. Not the end all and be all of fly fishing but it does get you started in the right direction.
For specifically lake fishing I recommend the following - some of which you should be able to find in a library or perhaps a friend my have a copy to lend.

Not specifically about how to fish lakes but a great book for fly patterns for lakes
1. Fly Patterns for Stillwaters "A study of trout, Entomology and Tying" - Philip Rowley.

Good luck
Pilotfly, this is so awesome. Really appreciate this and planning to buy a couple of your recommendations this week as I prep for some stillwater fishing this Summer. Thanks again! dan

·
Registered
506 Posts

Good luck
Thanks for your valuable information good sir.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts