Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 70 years I am finally starting to feel my age.

Yesterday I had to make a journey to Naturita to discuss the moving of my wife's mother into an assisted living facility. (Family council my wife calls it.) Granny is 91(lives with her son) and too much for her son to handle anymore. Dementia, incontinence, falling, etc has come to the point that the family had to make a decision. After meeting for about 1/2 hour the two sons took off to Olathe to look at a rest home for granny. My wife stayed with granny and I decided that sitting around watching Dr Phil for 6 hours was going to be a bit much. With good foresight I brought along my pontoon and hightailed it to Miramonte which is a relatively short 33 mile drive from Naturita. Due to the travel from Montrose to Naturita, discussion of what to do with granny, and then another 33 mile drive to the lake I didn't get on the lake until around 12:30.

Okay, that brings us to the fishing report...…. way too hot, way too windy, and way too finicky fish. Trolled around till around 4 pm with no success other than a few grabs on the line. Water temp was 72 degrees and I have no idea what the outside temp was other than I had to keep shucking off outer layers to keep somewhat cool. Only nice thing about the day was I was the only fool on the water. No one else was fishing other than a couple of folks down by the outlet dam. Didn't see how they were doing as it was all I could do to keep fighting the wind and keep an eye on approaching thunder clouds. Fortunately no thunder or lightning but the wind wore me out so I gave it up and drove back to Naturita to pick up the wife.....only to find out my goofus brother in law has decided that perhaps October might be a better time to move granny than this coming week. Only real good thing for the day is I wasn't stuck in the house watching Dr Phil with wife and granny. So there is that! However fighting the wind for 4 hours has taken a toll on my legs. Think today I'll just hunker down in the man cave and tie up a few flies, watch the Tour-de-France, and take it easy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Water is quite a ways down. There are now three islands in the lake. The big one at the eastern side of the lake near the dam. The smaller one just west of that island and now a new one that is closer to the western shore. Normally the "new" island is underwater with about 3 to 4 feet of distance between the lake floor and the surface. Water is quite murky as well. Probably from a few rain squalls that have passed through in the last day or so.

To get to Naturita and Miramonte from Montrose I go by Ridgway Lake on the way. That lake is was drawn down. The Uncompaghre river running into the lake from Red Mountain is pretty much a trickle. No more water this year and it is going to be ugly. You can almost cast from the dirt across the lake to the western shore where the lake widens out. Quite a few trucks, cars, etc far out on the dirt than normal. Obviously the drought is putting a hurt on our fisheries.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Those browns in Ridgeway will be concentrated right b4 ice-on and you should be able to hammer them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts