Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we i finaly made it to the pond with all my gear at the same time gig, flashlite and muck boots, got there about 9:30 and started to work my way round the lake the water is down a bit making for a lot of mud got stuck in one spot for a good 10 min trying to get out with out loseing a boot. did pretty good on the frogs got a walmart sack ful ready to bust ended up with several pounds of cleaned frog leggs and almost every one of them had 1 or more big craws in their belly. some of them big ones must have armored skin as my gig bounced off a few saw lots of young and mid sized frogs and tons of tadpoles also saw 1 small bass bout 3-4" next to a rock. ive never seen a place so full of big bull frogs

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep i wouldnt kill something i aint gona eat

i like em beer battered and fried but gona try some of these like honey BBQ wings and see how that works

T

·
0 Posts
Sounds good.

Never bagged my own but have eaten them from restaurants.

·
Registered
164 Posts
im kinda scared of eating those things, after seeing 5 legged frogs and stuff like that i will never eat frogs again. how do you catch them? im really not sure wat a gig is.
and is this the blue heron on simms st in littleton? if it is ever heard of hine lake? kinda near by have you ever fished there?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i havent seen any disfigured frogs down here and if a lake has disfigured frogs or other animals then anything from there would be scary also remember frogs like all amphibians have tremendous ability to regenerate lost limbs and on ocasion an injured limb causes regeneration so a couple isolated 5 legged frogs is not much to wory about but consistant deformaties in a population may be cause for alarm

no these blue heron ponds are a little farther south on the ark

a gig is a type of spear with a muti pointed tip you sneak up on them and stickem mine has a trident style point about 2" wide

F

·
0 Posts
is it legal everywhere are just select waters and whats the limit on bullfrogs

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no limit on bull frogs state wide and you can pretty much catch em any way you see fit check out http://wildlife.state.co.us/regulations/ch01.pdf page 7 near bottom of chart says unlimited

i talked to one guy that shot them with a pellet gun im not sure that would be legal but dont see where it says it isnt

the bull frog is not native so i think the dow would like them gone just make sure you taking bull frogs and not the leopord frog

bull frog link
http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/detail.asp?recnum=AR0026

leopord frog link

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/detail.asp?recnum=AR0156

a large leopord could be mistaken in the dark for a smaller bull frog

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lighter and more tender then chicken the meat from a good sized bullfrog is like a chicken wing in size very mild flavor i like them batered and deep fried but am going to try a BBQ glaze next time like honey BBQ wings when you clean them you cut off the back legs at the hip joint and then skin them peels off easyer then catfish you can then batter them and cook them whole or seperate the legs at the knee joint the upper leg is larger then the lower just like a chicken wing and the smaller part can get over cooked when you cook the whole leg at once and then it is not as obvious to some one you serve them to that they are frog

here is another frog ID guide

http://wildlife.state.co.us/species_cons/PDF_files/COHerpetofaunalAtlas.pdf

seems the key difference is the leopard frogs have the dorsolateral folds and the bulfrogs do not

if you want to come down this way we could hook up and set some lines for cats (with circle hooks ofcourse) and go stomp around for some frogs we can share the gig and ill help ya clean them this offer is to all i figure every one of them bull frogs is eating a boot load of crays that could be going to grow big smallies and other nice fish

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they taste less like chicken than rabit does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts