Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
That fish would beat the winning bag at FMO by 1.5lbs

I thought with the smelt or whatever they put in there for forage that the Tooth was kicking out bigger smallies and eyes?...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Its hard right now to find a keeper let alone one like that! Someone will find em during the FMO. Hopefully it will be the guy in the Gambler!! :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
I thought with the smelt or whatever they put in there for forage that the Tooth was kicking out bigger smallies and eyes?...
The rainbow smelt crashed and burned that lake many, many years ago. Overpopulated and wiped the plankton. There are a few left I think, but not many.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes you can see clouds of smelt out graphing over deeper water. I have caught several that were puking up 4" smelt. Infact this spring I had 14" puke up a half a dozen while I was getting the net in the water. 2 others his same size came up an nabbed them. No need to waste good grub I guess.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There seems to be plenty bait these days gizzards, smelt, trout, etc. But I think the problem has been an over population of small bass and too many little walleye. I've been fishing the lake a long time and it seems like its on an upswing lately. Science could prove me wrong but its just I've been noticing.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The lake is getting better....tons of smelt to feed on. Taking away the limits on walleyes has really helped the remaining 'eyes. It would be nice if they'd put a slot on smallies.....the 10 to 12 inch ones need thinned a bit. The bigger smallies have some fat guts lately.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
So its a crappy sm lake and a crappy eye lake? Skinny eyes and stunted small mouth.
Bummer seems like it could be such a better lake.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Yep....sucks. Spread the word as much as possible.
LOL, Im sure there are a few decent fish, but Carter, Boyd and Lonetree put out better size and numbers, for me anyway.

For all the people that fish the tooth, sure don't see many big fish come out, compared to the other lakes in the area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What a massive smallie! That river sure looks familiar, I think I've fished that area before, but never caught anything close to that big.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts