Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,644 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes you can see clouds of smelt out graphing over deeper water. I have caught several that were puking up 4" smelt. Infact this spring I had 14" puke up a half a dozen while I was getting the net in the water. 2 others his same size came up an nabbed them. No need to waste good grub I guess.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There seems to be plenty bait these days gizzards, smelt, trout, etc. But I think the problem has been an over population of small bass and too many little walleye. I've been fishing the lake a long time and it seems like its on an upswing lately. Science could prove me wrong but its just I've been noticing.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The lake is getting better....tons of smelt to feed on. Taking away the limits on walleyes has really helped the remaining 'eyes. It would be nice if they'd put a slot on smallies.....the 10 to 12 inch ones need thinned a bit. The bigger smallies have some fat guts lately.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.