Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having some good tugs down here.

I had a nice little Spanish Mackerel on yesterday when a spinner shark blew up out of the water and grabbed my catch, 10 minutes of chasing this ******* on 12 lb test and I feel a violent head shake..That dam shark was never hooked! He just didn't want to give up his new found breakfast.

He was kind enough to send me back my lure.

We caught an uncountable number of these delicious little beggars.

We did not have steel leaders and oh what a shame...I had two king fish on my fly rod sadly both bit me off...One of them hit my fly and flew a solid 7 feet in the air almost landing in the boat...this place is real.

Landed several Bonito and what a freaking riot on the fly rod...sadly had no batteries left for a pic...Next week I will try again.

Backwater snook and baby poons are everywhere still. Tie on any fly and start ripping it as fast as you can and just see if you can keep it away from them. NO chance!

Back o the mountains for Thanksgiving, until then we are eating like kings down here!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Awesome!

·
Registered
199 Posts
^^^^I am right there with you Hobie. Sounds like you are having an awesome time down there. Do the tarpon leave in the winter or is that just Texas?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
At least you got your lure back! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^I am right there with you Hobie. Sounds like you are having an awesome time down there. Do the tarpon leave in the winter or is that just Texas?
I don't know yet...haven't been here long enough. They were here in January, here in May and here tight now...So maybe they stick around.

I know the big ones migrate.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The tarpon winter in the Keys and migrate north as the water warms- usually late April-May.. They spawn offshore and feed heavily at Boca Grande- the tarpon capitol of the world.. I prefer the less crowded waters of Tampa bay near the Sunshine skyway ship channel.. Crab imatations on the 12 wt has worked for me..
Poons can reach 150 lbs ++ and are great leapers.. Looks like you're having great success on the blue H20..

·
Registered
434 Posts
The tarpon winter in the Keys and migrate north as the water warms- usually late April-May.. They spawn offshore and feed heavily at Boca Grande- the tarpon capitol of the world.. I prefer the less crowded waters of Tampa bay near the Sunshine skyway ship channel.. Crab imatations on the 12 wt has worked for me..
Poons can reach 150 lbs ++ and are great leapers.. Looks like you're having great success on the blue H20..
My mom just bought a small condo close to Boca Grande. I am going to have to keep this in mind. I have been wanting to get down there and do some backcountry fishing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My mom just bought a small condo close to Boca Grande. I am going to have to keep this in mind. I have been wanting to get down there and do some backcountry fishing.
2 areas that stand out around Boca is Bull and Turtle bays which are at the bottom of the Placida peninsula and Pine Island area.. Both offer good site fishing opps for tailing reds in the skinny water.. Google maps are your friend..

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I don't know yet...haven't been here long enough. They were here in January, here in May and here tight now...So maybe they stick around.

I know the big ones migrate.

I know fort myers and the area you live at is considerably warmer than even 90 miles north of there in sarasota, due to the difference in flora that is able to grow there. im sure theres lots of opportunities for tarpon.

I really wanna get into the peace river area again, theres some hogs that live just south of fort ogden.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Nice!! Those Sierra are a blast and great eating, I smoked some that turned out great, that Shark knows whats tasty, lol. looks like your gonna need some heavier leaders...Robalo es numero uno!!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Florida? I was there last week. Caught a good amount of macks, blues, jacks, etc in the surf. Even hooked up with a 3ft tarpon that threw the hook....and one red.

I dont even wanna talk about spinner sharks.....I hooked two of them, while pops hooked one, and they each jumped and spun....eating up 30ft of line in a second and shredding it.

Need better shark gear. No problem getting them to bite in the surf....but i can tell you that braid ISNT the answer LOL. Ill have a new combo next time i go down there.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts

Drove overt the skyway yesterday on my way to the airport. Berry, berry, interesting. Will be going back this winter. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Drove overt the skyway yesterday on my way to the airport. Berry, berry, interesting. Will be going back this winter. :thumb:
you have no idea, my chubby irish pal.

fort desoto is fun as hell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts