Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im leaving for Lake Powell approx 30 days...Were going to be on a 50 ft Houseboat and will be pulling my 17.5 ft Lowe...We will be fishing and Hiking...Seven full days on the water...

What king of lure's do you recommend?

What areas of the lake do you like?

What other suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
go as little as you can in the houseboat, they burn gas at an awesome rate. just running them 20-30 minutes a day to charge the batteries up will cost you 100.00 or more. if you go from bullfrog, go n.e. to Mokibay, there is a great place to park on the left side if the water is up. fish the wall at the mouth for stripers, anything white will work but best is cut bait anchoives you can buy at the marina. hiking is tough unless you have rock climbing skils, the clifs are near verticle. all the guys that went with me went hiking and were back in half an hour and spent the rest of time fishing. use your little boat for sightseeing and runs to the marina store

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I assume you are going out of either Bullfrog or Halls Crossing. I've explored a lot in both directions. The farther you go from the marina the less crowded it will be. For that reason I love the San Juan and Escalante arms, but that will burn some fuel.

For stripers, a jighead with a piece of anchovie is money once you locate the schools. For smallmouth, curly tail grubs and 3" tubes in chartreuse, motor oil, smoke sparkle, and crawdad colors on 1/4 to 3/8 oz heads are hard to beat. You can throw cranks as well. There are big bluegill and crappie to be caught in the flooded trees on little marabou jigs and curly tails. The walleyes will hit the same stuff you're throwing for smallmouth. Early June is a great time for walleyes at Powell.

The forage base is shad and crawdads; mimic accordingly.

Take extra 5 gal. gas cans, fill them and haul them up or down lake with you in your small boat so you have plenty of fuel for fishing. Store themtightly closed and way, way away from your houseboat and any camp fire area.

Have fun! I love Lake Powell!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Most important, start following the Fishing Reports and Anglers Corner on http://www.wayneswords.com/. There are also message boards where you can post questions. It's the best resource there is for Lake Powell and the people are very helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All the advice is great so far. "Gofindyourowndam" was accurate in that you should go to wayneswords to keep updated on what's hitting and where. The site also has a lure list and a great hiking link.

We have a 68 foot houseboat out of Bullfrog. In June the stained waterline will be coming all the way down to Bullfrog so if you go North you'll be getting into some pretty stained water with debri floating. Moki Canyon is gorgeous with some great fishing but it'll be clearer water down South. My favorite lures: 5" Senko, Single or double tailed jigs, Norman DD crankbaits(suspend), Lucky Craft Pointer and Sammy, White Willow leaf Spinnerbaits, Rattletraps, and good old worms for sunnies under the houseboat. You can use any kind of leftovers for catfish off the back of the boat all day long.

Was just down on a maintenance trip and caught two nice Walleyes off the front of the houseboat in the slips. Just dropped a night crawler in and moved it around to different depts once in a while as I worked.

June is a great time of year. Have fun.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If I were going for a full 7 days I think I would push on up river at least to Knowles Canyon, that is just over half way to Good Hope Bay.
Most of the fishing info has been covered or you will find on Waynes Words but I like the Hulla Grubs, Storm Thunder Sticks, Bomber Long A's, and good old Rapalas.
Bring lots of tubes and jig heads and a small separate cooler for the anchovies and only thaw what you need, those dam things get nasty.
I would get a Fish n Map Co. map of the north and south lake at Sportsmans Warehouse, you can find places you read about on line and get some sence of scale.
I hope to make it before Memorial Day but you made a good call not picking that weekend.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Yeppers Waynes Words...all the words you will need...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
This year, I would head SOUTH as there is going to be a big runoff from the huge snowpack and lots of junk coming from the north. If you want to save a few $ buy a couple bags of smelt at king soopers and store them in the freezer in place of the anchovies. They work just as well. PK

·
Registered
978 Posts
Depending on what day of the week, you may have a hard time finding a place to beach your houseboat if you stay close. If you want to stay close, Stanton Creek & Halls bay are good locations. If you want to get away from the crowd, going down lake is a good bet. Slickrock, Iceberg & Rincon are good locations. Around the Slickrock area there are a lot of stripers and bass to be had. You can catch bass on all regular bass lures, jigs, spinner baits, crankbaits, but my favorite down there is topwater! I'm not a striper chaser, but when you find a school you could throw anything and catch them.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
We went last year and found a little camp spot right outside of Bullfrog Bay. We found bass pretty much anywhere along the shore in the weeds. Right next to the Bullfrog boat ramp believe it or not we actually caught some real nice bass right there. Fishing is good there just about anywhere you go. We could not get into the stripper because they were spawning when we went but you should have no problem. Keep in mind it is legal to chum there so bring alot of anchovies. ;)

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dialed in Wayne's World about six months ago...lots of good information.

I'll be launching out of Bullfrog...

OK...Couple of questions...

Colorado is one of the states that Utah requires boaters to have their boats clean. Can anyone tell me how that process works? In Colorado you have to have an appt to get anyting done to your boat. What kind of planning to I have to do to have the boat cleaned for invasive species?

Where in COS do you guys get dry ice?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
ElPasoCounty said:
Colorado is one of the states that Utah requires boaters to have their boats clean. Can anyone tell me how that process works? In Colorado you have to have an appt to get anyting done to your boat. What kind of planning to I have to do to have the boat cleaned for invasive species?

You can go to any Colorado state park and get your boat either inspected or decontaminated and then sealed.

I don't know about Powell, but to launch on the Utah side at Flaming Gorge you can do a self-certification. Maybe bobco will chime in. I know he was at Bullfrog this weekend. You might send him a PM.

As for dry ice, I've gotten small quantities at King Soopers lately.

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
ElPasoCounty said:

You can go to any Colorado state park and get your boat either inspected or decontaminated and then sealed.

I don't know about Powell, but to launch on the Utah side at Flaming Gorge you can do a self-certification. Maybe bobco will chime in. I know he was at Bullfrog this weekend. You might send him a PM.

As for dry ice, I've gotten small quantities at King Soopers lately.
I'll PM Bobco...I doubt that Utah will honor an inspection from Colorado...I remember when this thing kicked off Antero wouldnt honor one from Eleven Mile...

Thanks...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
At the end of June to early July is typically time for slurping stripers. I'd downsize ur jigs and lures if you're chasing stripers. The shad are typically around the 1-2" mark in early July so match the hatch I guess. Cruise around Bullfrog marina area and look for abnormal looking surface water. Then plant a lure in the middle of slurps and have fun. Moki Canyon can be pretty good too. All the canyons in between Bullfrog to Good Hope Bay will produce multi species. You just gotta be willing to burn the gas. Like Don said, bring an extra spare tank of gas, and if ur boat is a 2 stroke, bring an extra bottle of oil.

JMO, striper fishing is best at night near the lights at Bullfrog marina so I would'nt waste my time chasing them in the day unless the slurps/boils happen in front of you. Love that lake.

Advice, if you're from the Denver area and ur planning on fishing bait. Go to the POM (Pacific Ocean Market) and buy sardines there to bring up. Sardines and anchovies = same same... The POM is much cheaper and you get alot more for the money. Sometimes you can even get fresh ones.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Lake Powell's inspection is the same as here. As long as your boat is moderately clean and the live wells and motor are drained and dry it will be no problem. In and out pretty quick. Don't even worry about that. If for whatever reason they think it is dirty they will just spray it off with a high pressure hose. No big deal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts