Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I had the pleasure of being introduced to Glendo tree fishing by Bernie...it was like swamp people bass fishing/alligator hunting but only for walleyes...the day we were on the lake there was a big tourney and you would of never known it...the solitude and lack of wind was incredible...I will either bribe someone I know with a big boat to go...or take my pee wee boat and hope for calm seas to and from the tree zone...and I am serious about this I may even take some week days off...last year it was a last minute invite by Bernie...a crazy trip Friday and Saturday I fished Cedar Bluff with Kevin and Jeff and packed up around 5 pm on that Saturday (I wasnt planning on fishing Cedar Bluff on Sunday) drove home to Denver a 3 hour nap...up at 2 am packed a few things and drove to Bennett Hill to meet Bernie at 6am...fished until about 5:30 pm...3 days...2 lakes...3 states...525 miles from Cedar Bluff to Glendo...my son's old basketball practice shirt playing in my head...you miss a 100% of the shots you don't take!...both fishing trips were a hoot...but that tree fishing was really crazy and unique...I did do a search on here to gather whatever information I could glean...but have some questions...and if u dont feel like posting an answer send me a PM please...and if you are figure it out yourself thats kewl too...

Is that first week in June a pretty good traditional time frame for tree fishing?

Are all their campsites in the park on reservation system? Or some first come first serve? And yes I know they dont like greenies...I am good with that...

Are Indian Point or Elk Horn more conducive to tree fishing locations...

Small jigs seemed to work better last year...have any recommendatoins?...have you tried small cranks or slip bobbers although I prefer jigs or lures...

Have you heard tourney dates for June up there yet?

I think the reservoir was higher than normal last year at the time...have you heard predictions for this year?

And anything you care to add that might be helpful...

Thanks!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thanks to those who pm'd or called!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol I told bernie there would be some pussies that wouldnt go cuz they would scratch their boat...he said you just get wood smudges that buff out...come on slayer you've long been a fan of "wood smudges"...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol something like that!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Muddy bay is always good if the water is up in the wood.

I scratched my boat at Big Mac last spring in the wood, but that is where the eye's were:mad:

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
One rule i've always gone by.......if you gotta worry about scratching your boat or driving on dirt roads......don't buy that boat :lol:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Planning on being there the week of the 5th of June..
Water level will dictate tactics...... :smile:

·
Registered
705 Posts
BTW, we are currently looking to return to Cedar Bluff possibly on June 10, 11, and 12. I'll keep you posted!!

You could do Glendo on 6-12! You could leave Cedar Bluff camp on 6-11 right after supper and and a cocktail!!!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I could go for a cedar, prairie dog, swanson road trip with the boat. They are reasonably close.
At the very least I'm heading back to Swanson. Last time I was there with sooner fisher.... We killed it. Best crappie fishing ever.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the last week of march off. Just need to find some willing souls. I fished prarie dog same time last year and it was well worth the drive.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
a crazy trip Friday and Saturday I fished Cedar Bluff with Kevin and Jeff and packed up around 5 pm on that Saturday (I wasnt planning on fishing Cedar Bluff on Sunday) drove home to Denver a 3 hour nap...up at 2 am packed a few things and drove to Bennett Hill to meet Bernie at 6am...fished until about 5:30 pm...3 days...2 lakes...3 states...525 miles from Cedar Bluff to Glendo...
That's hardcore! Never been to Glendo...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Only 3 of the last 10 years has flooded enough to make the cottonwoods fishable. 2011, 2012, and last year. When it gets really high you can fish the cow pastures behind the cottonwoods. And yes you do beat up the boat pretty good getting far back into the "jungle".

1 - 20 of 44 Posts