Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you ever camped on the river at glenwood canyon resort how's that part of the colorado river for fishing and are there any regulations on type of bait and what type of fish are available and the best thing to use such as lures and baits

thanks was thinking abouty going the 11th thru the 14th of july i'm willing to pay 28.00 a night if the fishing is good

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have caught some monsrous rainbow, cuttbow, and brown trout, as well as the rare cutthroat trout. Other species to be had are roundtail chub, white sucker, bluehead sucker, mountain whitefish flannelmouth sucker, sculpin, and even once saw a 6" largemouth caught. It is superb fishing with no bait restriction, it is possibly the best trout fishing in the state save for maybe the gunnison river in the remote parts of the gorge.
The BEST presentation is a worm. usually use light line, 4 or 6 lb. test. I use a #6 eagle claw bait holder hook, and 1 1/2 ft. above that put between 1-3 water gremlin sinkers in sizes 3-5, adjusting based on current. Then put on 1/2 of a fat nightcrawler
Cast out anywhere from about 12-2 o'clock, again depending on bottom structure and conditions.
You want your nightcrawler to be ticking the bottom and you to be feeling rocks usually, unless it is sandy and then you will just feel bottom. The rocks feel like: tick.....tick.....tick really gradually, and trout is a series of sharper taps in the drift, usually happening quite a ways downstream from you, but occasionally happen right in front of you or just a bit to the upstream or downstream side.
If you fish for browns, they will hit like this: tap, tap, tap really quickly and fairly solid. If you fish for rainbows, they may only occasionally hit like that, the most common hit being they really crush it or you feel a tiny tap, or a series of taps much more slowly than the brown.
Set the hook as soon as you feel any bite, doing this will ensure, for even someone new to this, roughly 95% of trout to be hooked in the side of the mouth.

For a seasoned master like me at this, I could go on and on about other little variations you can do to increase your hits, especially my famous "downstream jig" of a nightcrawler where it is fairly far downstream from you, and you bounce it off of the bottom a lot. (more complicated) My hooking rate in the lip or jaw is roughly 99% according to my statistics.

If you like browns, they tend to be in shallower, swifter areas with a rock bottom. They will be in deep areas a lot too but they need a rock bottom mainly due to the fact that their favorite forage (sculpins) live in rocks.

If you like rainbows, they tend to be in the deeper, slower areas with sandy bottoms are your best bet. The downstream jig and fishing way downstream from you seems to work better for this fish than it does for browns who seem to favor a typical drift more. Hang on to your rod because you will get a few bone-crunching strikes!

If you like big rainbows, only the deepest, slowest holes with sandy bottoms will do. If you like big browns, I have noticed that the best fishing spots are fairly deep runs with rocks and moderate current. (downstream jig not nearly as effective in runs like this)

Also, the majority of large river trout that I have caught (6lbs.+ meaning) have hit extremely light, usually a sway in the line or the slightest tick.

Like I said, I could go on forever about bouncing a nightcrawler, but you'll just have to find some other cool stuff out for yourself!

The average fish in the canyon (above the fork confluence) only goes 12-16", but I've caught fish up to 8 lbs in the canyon and my dad caught a 11 lb. rainbow once. Below the confluence most fish are rainbows and if you fish the right spots they average 14-20" with fish every day topping 24". In the colorado river those are easily 8 lbs if they are bows. (anywhere form 4-7 usually if browns) Seen them caught to around 16 lbs. (rainbows anyway) Heard of a 29 lber caught but I don't know if that is true, it wouldn't surprise me a heck of a lot as one time in jan. of '04 I broke off an estimated 20+ pound rainbow near the shore at one hole. One of the biggest fish I've seen in my life. I don't know which was bigger it or the brown in the gunny gorge. I think this was bigger.

Good spots are a hike 1 mile above grizzly creek or so follow the bike path there is an excellent hole. Mostly smaller browns. My thread title recent pics that has the "big A$$ brown" and "the nice brown caught on a curly tail released despite blood", are two of a few fish caught there. Where no name creek goes in looks great and it is but only I and 2 other people are allowed to fish it since it is private. Ignore the rest of no name, until the river forks. There is an island out there, dubbed the fat guy's spot (its a long story). It is the slickest spot on the river, and probably the most erratic fishing. It has a good mix of both species since at the top of the run it is rocky and towards the bottom it silts up. Fishing in the extreme upper is poor but roughly 10 yards below that is good and fishing the tail out is good. Some days all you get is small browns other days you get huge bows and other days you are skunked. There are good holes below this but most are reachable by the other side only. Both sandbars are excellent, particularly the lower smaller one. I remember one time between the three of us in roughly an hour we caught 50 or so rainbows in that hole between 12 and 20". If the colorado river is muddy, a good spot is where the fork goes in. Right at the point is good if you are GOOD drifter, below, dubbed the crappy spot because it looks awful, is a slow, roughly 6-7 foot spot that for some reason just holds nice bows. Only experienced drifters and seasoned fly fisherman catch fish from there. Up at the top where it is rocky and reaches sand is good for both species, the crappy spot is good for mostly just rainbows and some whitefish and bluehead sucker. The best fishing is around the south canyon area with most holes in that area excellent and yielding the absolute monsters of the area. They are also the toughest fishing and you have to be in precise spots on these holes to catch fish. Where it may look good you may not get anything but where it looks fair it is great. Wierd huh? TIP: Where backwards current exists holds big bows, but lots of moss, where the river starts flowing where it meets the backwards current is the BEST. HINT HINT HINT. Upper sandbars are also excellent if you are willing to walk. Canyon creek is good but it is tough and erratic, the hole 200 yards or so below the confluence has large but tough to catch bows, upper canyon creek hole 300 yards above confluence is excellent sometimes but dead at other times. New castle hole is still an experiment but I did catch a 3 lb. bow there last nov. I could go on and on and on about the holes, and although it sounds like I've given you everything, you'll probably only do very well in the upper canyon. Around south canyon is tough and you need to learn it. BTW below the coke plant is a new experiment run that fishes well when waded, at least so far.
The best artificial bar none is a curly tail grub 4" long that is white OR pumpkin color rigged on a 1/4 oz. jighead. Fish them erratically and deeply and use the current to your advantage. If you use panther martins, use size 6 or 9. Best colors are all orange blade yellow body, and green blade black body if off color. (orange best for browns green best for bows.) Fish these SLOWLY AND DEEP. Be willing to MOVE A LOT to catch A LOT OF FISH!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TroutFishingBear,
I grew up fishing rivers , streams , and creeks as a youngster we lived across the road from a stream in pa. that I fished on a regular basis,
But have'nt fished any small bodies of water in about thirty years or so but hopefully reading the water will come back to me like riding a bike.
I'm afraid I'll remember the joy it brought me and fall in love with it again and wont to fish any reservoirs or lakes,
I think I can live with that. man i can't wait nothing compares. I live close to the platte by ruby hill but too polluted and not many fish otherwise that would be my stand in while waiting to fish clean waters.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks for that information TFB! You may see a few of us river trout fishers there. The last time I fished a river was the Rio Grande near Del Norte, so I am ready for big river trout again!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am new to forum. That was an awesome post trout fishing bear. I caught a 22 inch rainbow and had a bigger one than that last year at black lakes.I will be coming from dallas again this year to try these places. Thanks everyone for such a great forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts