Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was in Home Depot and saw them by the checkout and started thinking about using them for ice fishing. They say they are waterproof. On the few times I have gotten on the ice before dawn I have shown a flashlight on small glow in the dark tubes and dropped them down, works for trout but I would like to be able to flash some metal too. Seems like they would do a better job of attracting fish than a little tube also. Anyone ever try them?

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea Tony, would be great to have some glow in the dark kasty's and swedish pimples in the arsenal!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've toyed with them last winter. The problem i ran into was keeping the glow stick in the middle of the water column since they float. I tried tying a weight to them and that worked but now i got another line in the water that i could get tangled in. Didnt want to just throw down the glow stick with a weight attached cause now i've polluted the water.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
In my wild and crazy military days we broke open Glow Sticks or Chem-Sticks (what we called them in the Army) and applied a little to lures for night fishing but it made quite the mess and I'm sure what's inside them wasn't very safe for the water. But it did catch a few fish.....

I think Pikester's method is probably a better idea. They do make for good lighted bobbers for bait fishing at nighttime though.... Last all night and can be bought pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
the stuff inside the ones you buy at homedepot is safe to drink. My daughter tried it once mouth glowed for about an hour but the after effect the next day was nasty.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
the stuff inside the ones you buy at homedepot is safe to drink. My daughter tried it once mouth glowed for about an hour but the after effect the next day was nasty.
So I see she takes after the old man!!! ::)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have a bunch of glow lures including tubes and an HD ice that I love to use. And then I have a cheap fishing headlamp with a uv light that is meant for specifically charging glow lures and it works great.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a bunch of glow lures including tubes and an HD ice that I love to use. And then I have a cheap fishing headlamp with a uv light that is meant for specifically charging glow lures and it works great.
Out ice fishing one day I notice this angler having a real hard time getting the fish to bite.....I walk over and immediately see it's our fishing extraordinaire whompy and curious to what he's fishing with..... he was jiggin a white rapala beneath a half once bullet sinker...... looks just like that lure you see in the wiper he snagged and posted up as a profile pic..... I mention that for the technique he was using such a lure was not intended to be jigged......at first he assured me that his favorite lure just needed some time to work it's magic but I knew nothing was going to happen. Then something amazing happend......I dropped a glow tube down and immediately layed into a fat char...... I showed him my rig and told him that a cheap headlamp with a uv light helps keep a good charge..... I further advised him that he needs a bunch of glow lures, including tubes and an HD ice. Good to hear you've had success with the updated arsenal whomp.......I do hope you've ditched that rapala man! ;)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Out ice fishing one day I notice this angler having a real hard time getting the fish to bite.....I walk over and immediately see it's our fishing extraordinaire whompy and curious to what he's fishing with..... he was jiggin a white rapala beneath a half once bullet sinker...... looks just like that lure you see in the wiper he snagged and posted up as a profile pic..... I mention that for the technique he was using such a lure was not intended to be jigged......at first he assured me that his favorite lure just needed some time to work it's magic but I knew nothing was going to happen. Then something amazing happend......I dropped a glow tube down and immediately layed into a fat char...... I showed him my rig and told him that a cheap headlamp with a uv light helps keep a good charge..... I further advised him that he needs a bunch of glow lures, including tubes and an HD ice. Good to hear you've had success with the updated arsenal whomp.......I do hope you've ditched that rapala man!
You guys gotta be brothers as much as you bust each others ballz!!!!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, bzboy I know what you mean about one more line in the water to get tangled in. I would only want to use it when fishing shallow so I could get it out of the way quickly. 1 1/4'' glow or pearl tubes have been one of my most productive lures for trout under the ice whether it's dark or not but I should try an HD Ice glow lure as well. I gave up on Jigging Raps because they are so fragile and I kept breaking them (mostly by stepping on them). What I found out about Jigging Raps is that they work great for post spawn kokes that don't want to bite anything. It just pees them off to see it circling above them and they hit it to get it out of there. HD Ices should do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I am going to preface this by saying I have never ice fished but thought maybe a glow in the dark flasher (I believe that is what they are called) would have the same effect as a glow stick and you wouldn't have to worry about tangling up your line with the line the glow stick is on.

Reading this post and seeing the following video made me think of it.

Monster Lake Trout on Clear Ice

·
Registered
902 Posts
I am going to preface this by saying I have never ice fished but thought maybe a glow in the dark flasher (I believe that is what they are called) would have the same effect as a glow stick and you wouldn't have to worry about tangling up your line with the line the glow stick is on.

Reading this post and seeing the following video made me think of it.

Monster Lake Trout on Clear Ice

i think they do that on the lakes that they can drive trucks on up north.
http://www.coloradofisherman.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
You guys gotta be brothers as much as you bust each others ballz!!!!!
I feel like it's more so Coloradomack commenting on each and everything whomp posts on here, seems more like a weird obsession to me... This is when coloradomack replies saying something along the lines of me having to stand up for whomp or something, which I'm not even doing. Its just even someone paying the most minimal amount of attention would notice how consistently you talk **** to him, I think on one thread someone referred to it as a mancrush? Sounds about right to me, you need to go fishing dude

·
Registered
358 Posts
I feel like it's more so Coloradomack commenting on each and everything whomp posts on here, seems more like a weird obsession to me... This is when coloradomack replies saying something along the lines of me having to stand up for whomp or something, which I'm not even doing. Its just even someone paying the most minimal amount of attention would notice how consistently you talk **** to him, I think on one thread someone referred to it as a mancrush? Sounds about right to me, you need to go fishing dude
I hear you and whompy went fishing one day both looking for a good tug...... sounds like you had a great time ;D Of course your defending him man and/or you don't find me funny. Either way, I never hesitate to razz whomp a bit when I see he's thrown up a post.... its one thing to talk **** to someone who you've never met, it's completely different when you know them personally. Whomp has posted some off the wall **** in response to advice I've given or in threads that I've started..... in all fairness he deserves to be the brunt of some witty sacarsm. More than anything a good sense of humor goes a long way on this forum and whompy has yet to learn that. He has a great passion for fishing I'll give him that but you calling me out tells me of your inability to understand a relative perspective and/or what being funny and taking **** should ultimately look like :lol:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I hear you and whompy went fishing one day both looking for a good tug...... sounds like you had a great time ;D Of course your defending him man and/or you don't find me funny. Either way, I never hesitate to razz whomp a bit when I see he's thrown up a post.... its one thing to talk **** to someone who you've never met, it's completely different when you know them personally. Whomp has posted some off the wall **** in response to advice I've given or in threads that I've started..... in all fairness he deserves to be the brunt of some witty sacarsm. More than anything a good sense of humor goes a long way on this forum and whompy has yet to learn that. He has a great passion for fishing I'll give him that but you calling me out tells me of your inability to understand a relative perspective and/or what being funny and taking **** should ultimately look like :lol:
Well when whomp responds to maybe 1 out of every 10 of responses, it just looks a little petty. You guys been out fishin lately?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well when whomp responds to maybe 1 out of every 10 of responses, it just looks a little petty. You guys been out fishin lately?
Why would I need a response bobys? Whomp is up in foco paying for a quality indoctrination right now..... he's being engineered and don't think the assimilation of a liberal ideology is good for anyone...... best keep a distance lol..... Might be ice season before I see him roaming the pressure cracks up at Granby!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Why would I need a response bobys? Whomp is up in foco paying for a quality indoctrination right now..... he's being engineered and don't think the assimilation of a liberal ideology is good for anyone...... best keep a distance lol..... Might be ice season before I see him roaming the pressure cracks up at Granby!

So the answer is no

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Enough with the circle jerk

So.... about those glow in the dark flashers.... lol

But seriously, do you think they'd have the same effect as dropping down a glow stick?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts