Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to fill in a hole in my lure knowledge about lures that glow in the dark.

I did a Google search on the term "glow lures" and was surprised at how many lure companies, mostly small ones, are making lures that glow. You can get spoons, crank baits, even plastics that glow for up to 10 hours after exposure to light.

You can also get paints and pigments to apply to your own lures.

Has anyone used any of these lures? Are they better in deep water than ordinary lures? Are they better at night? Would ice fishing jigs/spoons work better if they glowed? Are there any Colorado regulations against glowing lures?

W. E.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I know that glowing jigs work for ice fishing, but thats about all I've ever had work from the few others that I have tried. I have tried spoons and roster tails that glowed but never caught anything on them.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
as for regs i cant recall anything that would prohibit them there is even one statment in the regs that says something to the effect of "artifical light if used as an aid in fishing is legal" so i would say adding light to your lure would be an aid to fishing

the june/july 2005 issue of Infisherman mag has a good artical on extreme ultralight panfishing and this guy bill bottger talks about using glow paint on most of his jigs. he feels the true glow paints glow brighter than the heat and dip stuff, he said he uses a white base coat and two coats of the glow paint.

it also seams to me that the glow stuff gets used for the walleye quite a bit. i got thw cabelas walleye catolog and they have lots of glow jigs and other glow items way more than i see in other catologs

i think i recall a crank bait that had a small battery and a light circuit that blinked red as it wobbled on the retrive

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Yes you can use artificial light as an aid to fishing and using glowing lures is not prohibited. Do they work is the big question. I have not done very well with them but then, I don't use them too much so I am not a good source of info on that.

About the only catching I see with them is my eye and wallet, because I gotta have more "shiny stuff"

Dan

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Some of my friends use the small 1 1/2" glow sticks on jigs or lures from time to time(deep water). I bought a bunch on Ebay about two years ago. I'm not a convert. I use some glow jigs ice fishing, and try glow sticks on lures or jigs from time to time. Glow might work for some people, but I don't think glow is that great.

M

·
0 Posts
In the surf in Tejas we sometimes use glowing bass assassin jigs at night. Those fish really seem to respond. However, a shrimp on the bottom works just as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i know mac lures in levenworth wa. make glow wedding rings used to use a camra flash and send em down caught quite a few koks on em cant really say if it was the lure or not caught just as many on a gold wed. ring as i did with the glow.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Thats something ive often wondered about also...i guess it depends on the mood of the fish. Sometimes with flies its said that "adding to much tinsel to your streamer patterns can repel fish, not attract them" ----but that goes against everything ive seen as far as guys catching fish with spinners and such. You would think that for walleyes it would be a good thing to add (glowing jig heads and such) and since Powerbait comes in such wazoo colors that are almost never seen in nature (flourecent rainbow glitter?) that it would work...

im more of a natural color guy...but ive seen too many fish caught on chartruese colored lures to know that they dont work. as far as glowing lures...i think something that glowed a little bit wouldnt hurt, especially in murkey or extremely dark water. i havnt had much luck with glowing jig heads, but i have caught a few fish on them so they do seem to work sometimes...but i think presentation is more key than anything else.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
and since Powerbait comes in such wazoo colors that are almost never seen in nature (flourecent rainbow glitter?) that it would work
...I know this will offend a few of purists...but trout are some of the dumbest fish around...unless they are locked in on hatch to a certain color/shape/size they swim around the lake or stream putting things in their mouth to see if it is food...we've all had them hit our bobbers errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr strike indicators...I know they resemble no bug in nature...

I have had great luck with glow most of it ice fishing...no side by side comparisons...I have had better luck for walleyes with a little bit of glow material stuck on the both sides of a Rapala when fishing after dark...they seemed to lock into it better than for the guys I were fishing with that werent doing the same thing...at least they werent initially...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
It works for the fish of the deep as bait, I dont see why it wouldnt work here.... OH SHINY!!!!!!!
I seen it on Finding Nemo I know it works.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Lures that glow might work better in muddy water but here in CO where you're mostly fishing clear water, I think they will repel fish more than attract them. Alot of walleye type jigheads have paint that glows-thats about the only exception-but walleye seem to like the gaudy colors.

F

·
0 Posts
zman said:
and since Powerbait comes in such wazoo colors that are almost never seen in nature (flourecent rainbow glitter?) that it would work
...I know this will offend a few of purists...but trout are some of the dumbest fish around...unless they are locked in on hatch to a certain color/shape/size they swim around the lake or stream putting things in their mouth to see if it is food...we've all had them hit our bobbers errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr strike indicators...I know they resemble no bug in nature...
I've been reading up on trout that live in rivers ...When they are staged in feeding lanes they will eat pretty much anything that moves ...The bigger the object the farther the fish will move to eat it ....After reading this I've watched big rainbow's take in sticks and spit them out, and lots of other stuff including some idiots ciggerette butt. It's funny how people think trout are so elite . They are opportunistic feeder just like most of the game fish we have in Colorado .

·
Registered
943 Posts
i have had luck on ice jigs that glow.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
The trout on the really pressured streams have seen it all and therefore seem "smart". I agree that trout are pretty dumb,they will eat anything.If you hit the areas with little to no pressure,trout are exceedingly easy to catch.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I found a interesting post from Ralph Manns.

7/17/04 6:03:00 PM Ralph Manns from TEXAS says Glowing lures
I did some extensive testing of glowing lures in the 1980s. I found no benefit to glowing hard baits, but didn't get many fish on hard baits in those years so the test may have been inconclusive. I had no glowing SBs, which worked better on balance than hard baits themn. (After I stopped experimenting, I learned to do much better with Norman divers at night -- either solid black or black belly/chartreuse back.
However, I did fairly well at times using black worms with glowing white or glowing chartreuse curl-tails.

At first I activated the glow using a camera flash unit. This creates a very bright glow that fades gradually. I soon found out that I did much better after the glow faded to just about the point of invisibility. A brief exposure (a pass of less than a second) with a small flashlight was all it took to create and adequate glow.

My conclusion is that a glow may help if it is faint, and just gives the bass a little help finding a plastic bait in the dark, but that a bright lure appears unnatural and only the stupidest fish hit it. This is contrary to salt water fish species, that live in phosphorescent waters and learn to use glow to locate prey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/17/04 6:14:00 PM Ralph Manns from TEXAS says During Daylight
The glowing Sassy Shad type baits on a jig-head are super baits during the day when fishing deep for striped bass, hybrids or white bass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts