Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in my 60's and getting some stiffness in my hands and my thumb really acts up off and on. Guess the cartlidge is wearing thin.

I see the glucosamin chondroitin in the pharmacy and wondered if anybody has had any luck with it. I know you have to take it for awhile-doesn't work right away.

Wondering if it has worked for any of you old guys.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
When my hands start hurting I just drink more rum or tequila. It works for me-

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Go to anasianmarket and get some beef tendon. Simmer that overnight in water or beef broth and use that liquid to make your soup or oatmeal or just drink a cup of it every morning. It's cheaper and works waaaaaay better.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I have tried it and could not tell if it helped, so I assume it didn't.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My dog's vet said it didn't really matter which one I used, but make sure it was a name brand - she suggested "move free" by Schiff. I really believe in things that help animals, as they don't lie about how they feel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mid 50's run daily both the dog and I use it with MSM. If it doesn't work can't tell that it hurts either. No knee issues with me and many dog clinical trials have proven that it is effective in them.

It does seem to make fingernails grow quickly if that is an indicator???:-\

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I started giving it to my senior dogs many years ago, and can tell a difference.

Here is the variable, and it is an important one. Glucosamine is a dietary suplement, so it is not regulated by the FDA. So, what that means is, that all brands are not created equal. Just because something says that it has a certain amount of the active ingredient, that does not mean it actually has it - there is no verification.

No, I'm not lobbying for more regulation, but I would echo that it is best to stay with a more well known brand, and if you don't feel a difference, try another brand.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I started giving it to my senior dogs many years ago, and can tell a difference.

Here is the variable, and it is an important one. Glucosamine is a dietary suplement, so it is not regulated by the FDA. So, what that means is, that all brands are not created equal. Just because something says that it has a certain amount of the active ingredient, that does not mean it actually has it - there is no verification.

No, I'm not lobbying for more regulation, but I would echo that it is best to stay with a more well known brand, and if you don't feel a difference, try another brand.
Highly accurate statement right here ^^^ Studies and exposes have shown that dietary supplements often do not even contain the supplement they are claiming on the label or have fillers

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
According to my Korean wife, red ginseng and garlic cures everything ;)
Note to self... buddy up with Muninoel... I must learn to cook Korean food better!!! lol.

I have heard nothing but good things about glucosamine. I find everyone's comments enlightening about supps. I try to avoid taking anything, so I am totally ignorant. When I tried it, it was generic.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My II Cents

Our doctor recommends products by Douglas Laboratories. We use glucosamine + msm.

douglaslabs.com

Pittsburgh Pa.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Note to self... buddy up with Muninoel... I must learn to cook Korean food better!!! lol.

I have heard nothing but good things about glucosamine. I find everyone's comments enlightening about supps. I try to avoid taking anything, so I am totally ignorant. When I tried it, it was generic.
Oyey, my wife is the best cook of Korean food I have ever met, including all restaurants, and she even bests her mother in the cooking category. She makes great kalbi, bulgogi, noodles, chapchae, yukkaejang, you name it, she makes it, along with dishes from other countries. I think she realized early that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach! Unfortunately, my daughter has learned nothing from her and whoever marries her will be eating takeout a lot ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts