Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago, I bought a pair of FRS/GMRS Motorola Talkabouts. As usual, very soon after I bought them (I think I got them at Costco), new ones started appearing with longer range. The next thing I knew, these went from a 2 mile range to 5, then 7 and now 12 miles (or more)! It smells like another marketing gimmick similar to digital zoom on camcorders.

I am planning a trip to Flaming Gorge in June. As I'm sure a lot of you know, at the Gorge storms can brew from all directions and your view of what is coming is very limited because of the canyon walls. It would be nice to have someone with a wider perspective back at the camp giving me updates while I putz around in the canyons.

Of course, I do realize that antenna height is often more important to range than power output. I am still curious, however: what GMRS radios have you used and what realistic range have you gotten out of them under various conditions? Or should I just bag these and go straight to a marine radio or rely on NOAA weather channels (which I have obviously not done in the past :-[)?

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Not sure this will help but back in my days of moding CB radios we would turn the power up in them from the legal 4w to as high as 40w. Not sure if a radio like this can be tuned up to get more power but I think it might be worth looking into before buying a new more costly one.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Work2fish,

They have the same problems as marine radios have, in my experience. They are pretty much line of sight. They don't work well going over topo, one side of a mountain/big hill to the other.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jay & TAL,

OK, thanks for the information. Maybe I should just get a marine radio since they have some tall external antennas compared to GMRS.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the GMRS radios are great for keeping in touch with buddies but with all the possible channels dont expect to find anyone else to come get you in an emergency no agency can monitor all the traffic

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
roadkill said:
the GMRS radios are great for keeping in touch with buddies but with all the possible channels dont expect to find anyone else to come get you in an emergency no agency can monitor all the traffic
RK, yes that is a good point. Do you think if I had a problem on the water at Horsetooth, for example, that there would be someone there monitoring the marine radio emergency channel? I obviously have no experience with these things, so I would never know otherwise.

Also, how about the difference in licensing between GMRS and Marine radios. I thought I read somewhere that you are supposed to register with the FCC and pay $75 for a GMRS license. How does that compare to Marine radio licensing? I imagine there is not much enforcement of these licenses here in Colorado...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
grms radios over a certain wattage are supposed to be license, but not shure of the cutoff or cost. i kinda doubt any of the local lakes monitor a distress channel but you could check with a specific lake you had in mind

the last marine license i got was a 10 year license and i for got how much i paid for it it covered VHF and single side band and i think it included my radar also for the same price

1 - 7 of 7 Posts