Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teachers in WI are out of touch! Average salary and benefit pkg for a WI teacher is just shy of 90,000/year and they get four months per year off. If they are tenured, they have a job for life. And, they want the taxpayers to foot the bill for their retirement?!? Average salary including benefit for the rest of us nationally is 61,000/year. I need that job!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I don't know...read this first before you say you'd like to be an educator...you know the saying....about the grass always being greener...

*Next Season on Survivor….*

Have you heard about the next planned “Survivor” show? Three businessmen and three businesswomen will be dropped in an elementary school classroom for 1 school year. Each business person will be provided with a copy of his/her school district’s curriculum, and a class of 20-25 students.

Each class will have a minimum of five learning-disabled children, three with A.D.D., one gifted child, and two who speak limited English. Three students will be labeled with severe behavior problems.

Each business person must complete lesson plans at least 3 days in advance, with annotations for curriculum objectives and modify, organize, or create their materials accordingly. They will be required to teach students, handle misconduct, implement technology, document attendance, write referrals, correct homework, make bulletin boards, compute grades, complete report cards, document benchmarks, communicate with parents, and arrange parent conferences. They must also stand in their doorway between class changes to monitor the hallways.

In addition, they will complete fire drills, tornado drills, and [Code Red] drills for shooting attacks each month.

They must attend workshops, faculty meetings, and attend curriculum development meetings. They must also tutor students who are behind and strive to get their 2 non-English speaking children proficient enough to take the state’s standardized tests. If they are sick or having a bad day they must not let it show.

Each day they must incorporate reading, writing, math, science, and social studies into the program. They must maintain discipline and provide an educationally stimulating environment to motivate students at all times. If all students do not wish to cooperate, work, or learn, the teacher will be held responsible.

The business people will only have access to the /public /golf course on the weekends, but with their new salary, they may not be able to afford it. There will be no access to vendors who want to take them out to lunch, and lunch will be limited to thirty minutes, which is not counted as part of their work day. The business people will be permitted to use a student restroom, as long as another survival candidate can supervise their class.

If the copier is operable, they may make copies of necessary materials before, or after, school. However, they cannot surpass their monthly limit of copies. The business people must continually advance their education, at their expense, and on their own time.

*The winner of this Season of Survivor will be allowed to return to their job!*

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
TC said:
Teachers in WI are out of touch! Average salary and benefit pkg for a WI teacher is just shy of 90,000/year and they get four months per year off. If they are tenured, they have a job for life. And, they want the taxpayers to foot the bill for their retirement?!? Average salary including benefit for the rest of us nationally is 61,000/year. I need that job!
Those aren't the numbers I heard.....

I heard it was like 61k for elementary educators, 60k for middle school educators, and 59k for high school educators.......but I don't know if fox new's numbers were correct. If it is in fact closer to your number, then I agree, shutup and color. I am not a fan of unions. I have been in one and I did not like the power they had over the company we worked for. There was a standing notation that there were absolutely no givebacks, we would strike if they even took one hour of vacation time away......so in the end, they will nickle and dime the company over time. I'm sure this isn't much different.

http://www.weac.org/news_and_publications/11-02-16/Wisconsin_teacher_pay_drops_to_lowest_level_in_50_years.aspx

http://www.teacher-world.com/teacher-salary/wisconsin.html

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I know that the avg salary for teachers at my kids school is more than most upper level managers make. The Administrators all make well over 120K per year.

Just sayin.

I agree, get your fannies back to work and vote... Isn't it funny that you vote till a hard vote comes and you liberal babies run to Harry Reid.

Vomit.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nascar...Your spin is showing...don't forget to include...summers off, tenure protection, no performance evaluations affecting increases, no terminations due to performance, etc, etc....and I know my spin is showing as well.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
First off FOX is a republican channel and is not going to tell you the truth about the problem in Wisconsin being directed torwards the teachers that are union! If you want to know what the teachers are on the line then watch CNN!!!!!!!! they make an average annual salary of $45,000.......
Now FOX may have found one school district in wisconsin that may make that much but it's not the whole in it's entirety! Just Sayin!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Benson said:
First off FOX is a republican channel and is not going to tell you the truth about the problem in Wisconsin being directed torwards the teachers that are union! If you want to know what the teachers are on the line then watch CNN!!!!!!!! they make an average annual salary of $45,000.......
Now FOX may have found one school district in wisconsin that may make that much but it's not the whole in it's entirety! Just Sayin!
My thoughts are that the average salary of $90K a year was based on the Admin salary! No way is the avg. $90K Just my thougt. Further more if parents would take care of their own responsabilities at home and teach their kids then the teachers would be able to to their jobs. Parents today utilize the system as "free" day care! I have a friend who is a middle school teacher here in the metro area. His school put on a new student orientation last night for the 380 or so new students coming in next year! How many parents attended? Less than 10%! Teachers deserve more than they get for sure! A flawed system IMO!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yes I strongly agree! Parents believe today hat they can just send there kids to school and that its the schools responseability for the children to achieve! I have two daughters that go to a charter school across from gander mountain in Aurora and I have to make them do home work every day for atleast an hour! If I didn't they would fail every thing and get further more behind there class mates!
The children our from my girlfriends previous relationship and she works long hours at phil long Ford so I am the only chosen one to help them! It's tough!!!!!!!! So in an essance they hate me, And I some times just can't make them do there home work because I don't want to deal with the frustrations!

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
TC said:
Sounds like a JEALOUS rant to me..... NEVER attempt to vilify what another persons job and pay might be untill you've done that job!!
And why is everyone so upset over TENURE? You stay at job X for an amount of time... you SHOULD get a bit more than a 5th year employee doin the same job...

According to news articles in the Denver Post and the late Rocky Mtn News around 12 years ago... my ( average) hourly wage was something like $27 per hour... HOGWASH!
Anyone who knows me would laugh at that figure....
What I'm saying is, before you spout, do the research of ALL the facts involved!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
TheUkrainian said:
Nascar...Your spin is showing...don't forget to include...summers off, tenure protection, no performance evaluations affecting increases, no terminations due to performance, etc, etc....and I know my spin is showing as well.
Not tenured until your THIRD year (end of it at that)....summers are for furthering one's own education at one's OWN expense (how many corporate people have to pay to advance)...plenty of terminations due to performance, in fact, every school I've worked at has them YEARLY...I'm living this every day....it ain't all peaches and cream folks!!!!

Another fact is that in every district I've been in since 1998...we have NOT had an increase in pay, they've all been hit by pay freezes at the times I've been there, and this year in this new district I'm in, we are looking at budgetary cuts, and therefore I will still make the same coin next year as I have this year and every year for many years.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
tc just so im clear and can understand you ,what part of this whole thing are you mad at? are you mad cause the teacher make more money then you?you stated you need that job, so whats stopping you from getting it? also how much cut in pay did the governor and the legislative body (yes both dems and repulicans) take to help the state of wisconsin?near as i can tell they were under contract apparently that doesnt mean anything anymore. you dont have any objections to athletes and ceos making as much as they can so why shouldnt the average person?please dont use the argument that its public sector we all anteed up more taxes so pat bowlen and his precious thugs could have a new place to play. not saying there strictly in the right but maybe if our politicians showed by example more of us would be willing to follow.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Im with you on this one N or F....Instead of axing benefits for the people responsible for molding the future of our country, maybe they should consider all the tax breaks given to all the companies currently in the great state of Wisconsin. This is expediting the demise of the middle class!!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
You couldnt pay me enough to be a teacher...they teach our children they should be paid well...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
cochise said:
Nobody is saying they should not be paid well..that's not what this is about.
Um... Ya it is! One guy is bent and made a rant about it. What's funny is he's ranting about a district in another state that does't seem to have much to do here in CO.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IFSHDOU2? said:
TC said:
Sounds like a JEALOUS rant to me..... NEVER attempt to vilify what another persons job and pay might be untill you've done that job!!
And why is everyone so upset over TENURE? You stay at job X for an amount of time... you SHOULD get a bit more than a 5th year employee doin the same job...

According to news articles in the Denver Post and the late Rocky Mtn News around 12 years ago... my ( average) hourly wage was something like $27 per hour... HOGWASH!
Anyone who knows me would laugh at that figure....
What I'm saying is, before you spout, do the research of ALL the facts involved!
Nope, not jealous. Funny how you accuse me of being presumptuous yet you were just that in your statement. In fact, my mortgage is paid by CCSD. Never said anything to vilify the job or the pay. And your comment about tenure; do you even know what tenure is? I think you have seniority and tenure confused.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
littlemac said:
tc just so im clear and can understand you ,what part of this whole thing are you mad at? are you mad cause the teacher make more money then you?you stated you need that job, so whats stopping you from getting it? also how much cut in pay did the governor and the legislative body (yes both dems and repulicans) take to help the state of wisconsin?near as i can tell they were under contract apparently that doesnt mean anything anymore. you dont have any objections to athletes and ceos making as much as they can so why shouldnt the average person?please dont use the argument that its public sector we all anteed up more taxes so pat bowlen and his precious thugs could have a new place to play. not saying there strictly in the right but maybe if our politicians showed by example more of us would be willing to follow.
Again, not mad. How do you know how much I make? Or are you just talking out of your... Yes, I would love to have a job making that kind of money and only working 8 months a year. I agree with your statement about all politicians and I voted against paying for the stadium.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
baetisrun1 said:
Benson said:
Teachers deserve more than they get for sure! A flawed system IMO!
Define "deserve". Why do people think we in this country "deserve" something from others? We Americans deserve LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT of happiness. If you don't have it, pursue it. Don't take it from others or expect the government to give it to you.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
baetisrun1 said:
cochise said:
Nobody is saying they should not be paid well..that's not what this is about.

Um... Ya it is! One guy is bent and made a rant about it. What's funny is he's ranting about a district in another state that does't seem to have much to do here in CO.
Um, nope. sorry my point escaped you. My point is... why should people who make their living from taxes that I and others pay be immune to the recession. If I have to tighten my belt, they should too. Didn't your beloved BO say not too long ago that we all need to have skin in the game? So why should tax payers have to pay for the teachers union retirement plan? Why can't they contribute to their own retirement?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts