Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mid-80s and sunny all next week. Got my RV spot reserved and slip rental at Wahweap.
I cannot wait to go fishing in the freekin warm sun!:biggrin1:

I hear that (for most fishermen) that eyes and bass are off the hook. Hundreds per day as Zman can attest to! Right, Z? :D

I'll be a bronze God when I return!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Nice, Striper country, make sure you bleed and ice them quick, they are my wifes favorite smoked, Bullfrogs a lot closer and normally better Wallys up north. Have fun and enjoy the sun burn. We killed the Stripers trolling fast with deep divers. With the low water watch out for reefs.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, Striper country, make sure you bleed and ice them quick, they are my wifes favorite smoked, Bullfrogs a lot closer and normally better Wallys up north. Have fun and enjoy the sun burn. We killed the Stripers trolling fast with deep divers. With the low water watch out for reefs.
You can have all the stripers I catch. :p

Goin with the wife and dogs, better amenities south.

I was at Wahweap last year killed the stripers and eyes when it wasnt 50mph winds on good old white or chartreuse twisters. I dont deal well with trolling:D. I like to huck. Cant wait to see how the blades work at Powell!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Good luck Mike, I was there the first week of May. We caught lots of small mouths (but not in the hundreds) and about a dozen walleyes in 2.5 days of fishing around BullFrog. No stripers though.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
We were there a month or so ago, we got 30 something walleyes shallow, random smallmouth and catfish, some nice Crappie and a cooler full of Stripers, everything was spawning then, gulp and power minnows work well, when I get tired of casting I go to jigging if its not red hot when the worn out shoulder and elbow starts aching its time for trolling, not as fun but another tool in the box that at times can be very effective. A few years ago we had over 150 Walleye and most were caught trolling. Down South is big water, good luck.
As far as Stripers not being good to eat the other guys at camp acted like they had the plague until I grilled some well taken care of ones up fresh for happy hour, they changed their tune in a hurry, Stripers are in great shape this year.
Bring some Mussels back to the crack, lol.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
striper tastes like ass! ha ha that grilled up one you cooked was ok LOL....the walleye was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
striper tastes like ass! ha ha that grilled up one you cooked was ok LOL....the walleye was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Walleye is numero uno but your kippered Salmon rates right up there.
Smoked Striper is a special treat though.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Be careful the Tiger Gills at Powell are huge! The picture at the bottom will look like a walk in the park comparatively!

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I need to get down there, next year l'd like to snowbird down to Page for a while.
Yeah that dude Jarrett Edwards fishes it in Feb. and does real well. Looks like fun-

In fact, they got a 14 and a 10lb striper in Wahweap in Jan. this year!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just beware. I was down there fishing a bass deal and almost died (1999). A rock fell of a ledge and hit me square in the head. Split the beanie on my hat. Lost a lot of hearing and was out for about an hour. No kidding. Do not mess around the cliffs. Thought I was shot. Never been shot, been shot at before but this time I thought it was it. Be careful. Good thing I am hard headed and strong. If the rock was a little bit bigger I would not be writing this. Just saying. Be careful.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just beware. I was down there fishing a bass deal and almost died (1999). A rock fell of a ledge and hit me square in the head. Split the beanie on my hat. Lost a lot of hearing and was out for about an hour. No kidding. Do not mess around the cliffs. Thought I was shot. Never been shot, been shot at before but this time I thought it was it. Be careful. Good thing I am hard headed and strong. If the rock was a little bit bigger I would not be writing this. Just saying. Be careful.
Hey cool. Ill be in the middle of a 2 mile long flat-

Theres a houseboat in Powell that lies on the lake bottom crushed by a 100 ton piece of cliff with the flattened occupants still in there!

Cliff no bueno-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts