Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my cordless 18v Craftsman Drill rigged up to my spare Carbattery on Wednesday, now I can use a electric auger,going to try it out over the weekend anywhere with some good ice be cool. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
its been hella cold in southpark so 11 mile should have some good ice.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
is there any chance of hurting an 18v device by running on only 12 volts i read someware that putting electric motors under load with lower than specified voltage could burn them up as they will draw more amps and over heat, the boss always had us shut down during "brown outs"?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thats true. Ohms law --> Voltage = resistance * current.

The resistance of your motor and wires dont change. So if the voltage goes down, the current draw will go up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
:) Thanks

I'm not a physics guy either ( though, i thought physics was totaly sweet). I studied electrical engineering, but what the hey, its all the same. Instead of motors, i play with transistors and electrical memory.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry, what the heck was i thinking, i had it backwards.  However, i think that running a motor at less then its rated voltage is going to strain the batter.

boy do i feel sheepish.  I guess thats why i am going on vacation on sunday.  I cant think straight anymore.   ;D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Running a electric motor at lower voltage shouldnt hurt it, it will just make it less efficiant.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hatchmaster said:
Elvis where do you think you are going?
I think I'm going to Dowdy this morning,maybe Bellair,West,Parvin.Be gone by six a.m.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts