Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and could use any and all info/help/techniques or whatever you might think will be helpful.

Leave in just under two weeks. My friend bought a boat and needs help driving(pulling) it out there and we will spend 5-6 days fishing the river around Agness and up into the wild and scenic area of the Rogue River wilderness area(?)

from what I understand we will fish for kings, stealhead, bow-bows and .....
He has, if not all tackle, most of what we will need, minus some bait and and some lures.

I am looking to take a fly rod to try out but am unsure what wt to use. First and foremost I want to bring some pink meat back so I will use his takle but I would love to get into some fish if possible on the whippy stick. (but am looking for info on all types of fishing techniques)

I feel this is an opportunity I cannot pass on but with the little time to prepare, I need as much help as possible since I have never done this type of fishing and would like to take full advantage of the trip. I feel this is a chance of a lifetime and not sure if I will ever get to do something like this again. Needless to say I am so stoked to be going!

Thanks in advance for any help, info, ect..!!!

PS
Feel free to PM if you like.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P-dog,
I agree about being lucky.
Even luckier, is that his mom has a home on the river so I have no hotel/motel to pay for :biggrin1:

I am tellin ya that this is a chance of a life time.
Work schedule was a piece of cake to work around and the boss was willing to let me go, so here I go!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will do Hobie!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Take a spey rod! The Rogue is absolutely amazing...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take a spey rod! The Rogue is absolutely amazing...
Can I get away with an overhead casting fly rod or switch rod?

I have never used a spey or switch rod and have little time to get one or even practice with one...

I have a friend that will let me use his 10wt 13 ft spey rod. Is that too much wt for what i will get into to?

·
Registered
592 Posts
10wt is pretty heavy, not sure if you'll get into salmon or not, but take it anyway! Any rod is fine, it's just fun to spey cast on big rivers. Take a jet boat ride too if you get a chance...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the boat we are taking out there is a jet boat ;D

from what I have read it seems iffy on salmon and steelheads but have to try right?

We have talked a little about going down river into Golds Bay if the fish are not up in the river at this time...???

I am sure I will enjoy the scenery and being on new water and thinking that I will have a shot at a 20# plus king or a steelhead, wow just too cool :cool2: And of course running a river in a jet boat will be new and exciting as well :thumb:

·
Registered
883 Posts
You better check water levels. I Just got back from a little bit south of there and a lot of rivers were super low or dried up.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm talking about the whitewater jet boats, Jerry's or the Mail Boats. Pretty stinking fun, the boats have multiple 350 V-8s for power, they haul ass! We did it a long time ago, not sure if it's too late in the year though..

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Luke,

I think you might be right about the timing of the "mail" boats, I want to say that they stop mid Oct??

I get what you are saying. That would be a kick in the pants hauling arse up a river with tons of horse power. I will look into it and see the availability and may have to schedule myself a ride if the opportunity exists.

I will find it exciting in my buddies boat cuz I have not done any motor boatin up or down a river in white water or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check it Out

CF, check out IFish.net. All you need for Oregon fishing is there. My 2cents? Go with a guide in the guide's boat your first day there. You will be astounded how much longer your life expectancy will be, and how many more fish you will catch overall. Even if you can't find a guide at this late date, if you post a question you will get lots of knowledgeable replies. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CF, check out IFish.net. All you need for Oregon fishing is there. My 2cents? Go with a guide in the guide's boat your first day there. You will be astounded how much longer your life expectancy will be, and how many more fish you will catch overall. Even if you can't find a guide at this late date, if you post a question you will get lots of knowledgeable replies. :thumb:
Thank you sir!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts