Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to head out there has anyone been yet? I will give a report when I get back. This is my first trip there any tips would be appreciated Thanks. I live in Northglenn so I figure this is the closest place with safe ice for trout unless any other suggestions?

D

·
0 Posts
Good luck! I haven't fished there for years, but my best ice fishing by far used to be in the hour before sunrise.

·
Registered
935 Posts
There is a plethora of lakes up in that area that I would think ice up at the same time as Wolford. Williams Fork and Green Mountain are two you could try if you don't like the looks of Wolford for some reason. The fork has some nice Macks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could not find any good ice at Wolford only a little on a cove on the west side of hgwy 40 but nothing I would want to go out on. Basically the entire lake is still open. Maybe there is some at the inlet but could not figure out how to get access up there.

Also 90% of Green Mtn is still open water. Some ice at the south end of the lake.

So I went to Georgetown and caught and released a handfull of stockers. Nothing of any size at all but plenty of action. Also met some cool old timers up there who caught a decent limit.

Maybe a few more weeks for those other lakes. Oh well it was still fun to get out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sorry to here you drove all the way to wohlford only to find open water. I to was thinking of heading to wohlford but checked in with Kremlin fishin hole to check on reports. They said ice is still couple weeks away. But they were catching nice fish from shore in the coves by the dam. I live in thornton maybe we can hook up some time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was going to fish wolford ice or no ice - brought a backup plan..... but there was a nasty storm so it was a no go either way. Oh well maybe next time.

Co Trout that was a good idea to call ahead. I think that fishing store in kremmling moved down the street. I saw a sign on the building I remember it at, that said something about moving. Maybe when it freezes we can go.... let me know if you hear any word when theres some safe ice.

Don in Denver thanks for the tip, I always listen your advice and posts, I will have to leave real early some time and try.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Called the bait shop in Kremmling. She said the ice on Wolford is not good yet. Heading to Lake John this morning for an overnighter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts