Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have ice fished Kriley Pond right on hiway 46. It was great fun catching stockers. Could hardly keep a line in the water.

During the ice free months it get quite a bit of pressure. If you hit it after a recent stocking its rumored to be pretty good. There are rainbows and an occasional brookie to be had. You might do better to hit one of the ponds that require a little bit of walking.

Friends I have that live up there tell me using powerbait, salmon eggs and small rooster tails work for the spin fishers. BWO's and any stonefly, caddis fly nymphs work for the Fly guys.

Dan

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I ice fished it w/ some friends. Caught quite a few. I'm not sure wich pond we were at. I think it started w/ a D though.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My dad and i fish there all the time and just have a blast with crawlers and a bobber on the firs smaller pond not sure the name.On the biggest pond had nice sized rainbows on a bubble and fly.The ponds that you have to walk a while to get to are great too just a little hard to find.I love this place when i'm on a skunk role i head up there and knock em dead.good luck if u go up there.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Golden Gate has been good to me...In recent years I have bought a state parks pass and really utilized it...I took my nephew (5 years old) out for his first time fishing at the one of the ponds he was using worms and caught 4 on his own in about 30 minutes...after he had a few fish I started with a black roostertail and would hook the fish and then hand the rod to him. In total we caught and released over 30 in two hours. We took his 4 he caught on bait home (he was just dying to show his mom)...

The cool thing about it now is that everytime I see him he always says "Uncle do you remember how many fish we caught that one time?" Just to see how excited he is all the time about fishing made it all worth it to me. I know that day cemented his desire to be a fisherman for life..Since then we have went out several times..Never had a day like that however...Now he has that excitement in his soul and doesn't mind waiting if it means that he will have a chance to catch a fish.

I remember going with my uncle(s) fishing as a child thinking what a great time we had and all of the great memories that were created. Those experiences really have opened the door for me to know how to share some of those same experiences with my children, nieces, and nephews (or any child for that matter).

To ALL,

If you ever get a chance take a kid fishing they will remember it for the rest of there lives...I know some of you guys have had just that same experience that my nephew and I had now it is our to pass it to the next generation of fishermen...

TH

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I like georgetown in the fall (end of Sept/Oct/Nov) on small (size 18) buckskin flies or trout colored lures...Browns have beautiful coloring up there.

TH

·
Registered
107 Posts
Golden Gate Canyon would take about 1/2 + hour from Lakewood. Get on 6th Ave. west bound and head around the west side of Golden. Head north on 93 and turn left at the sign for the park. It is another 15 mintues or so if I remember right up to the park.
Craig

·
Registered
107 Posts
Georgetown is the lake just east of the city of Georgetown. Get on I-70 and head west past Idaho Springs. You will get off on the exit for the city of Georgetown. Turn left and head to the T in the road. Turn left again and head about a mile out of town to the lake.
Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts