Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning my first ever ice fishing trip for Saturday. Was thinking of heading up to the Golden Gate Park Ponds since it is much closer to me, in case I realize I'm a wimp and can't take ice fishing. However, it hasn't been that cold in Denver and I haven't seen a report from there since early Jan? Anyone have any news? Otherwise, I was thinking of heading up towards Red Feathers, but its a much longer drive.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Ice is good up here, thick and hard. Rainbows, Brookies and an occasional sucker are what you will catch. Use a small hook and tip it with a couple of salmon eggs, waxie or meal worm. Jig it gently or dead stick them 1-2 feet off the bottom. You will hook more fish with a gentle jiging action than dead sticking. Pinch your barb when dead sticking otherwise you will not be able to get the hooks out of the ones that are deeply hooked.

Maximum depth is 8 feet. Fish the deeper water off the dam.

Expect lots of 8-10 inch stockers. A rare 12 incher.

Have lots of fun. its a great place to cut your teeth or to break a skunk/curse.

Dan

·
Registered
410 Posts
mtman,

The Denver area Boyscout council is having a pretty big event up there this weekend. Just watch yourself around the corners on the road. The cars usually park along the road and work up to the ponds.

Like Denver it has been windy at Golden gate. The last time I was on the ice it was clear and wind blown. Make sure you have some type crampons for your boots.

Good luck,

JT

·
Registered
288 Posts
I usually fish GG ponds 10 yardsstraight away from the concrete valve thingy on the dam in just about 8 fow. Just off the bottom with a yellow/silver teardrop jig tipped with half a mealworm. Caught lots of little stockers and some suckers. Keep your suckers. Put them in a plastic baggie and keep them in your freezer for when you want to go after lake trout at Granby. You'll soon find out that suckers are expensive at the store. catching your own bait is lots more fun and heck of a lot cheaper! Good luck !

·
Registered
410 Posts
left turn,

The big day is on Sat. but a group of the older scouts will be spending the night. This is the Kloondike weekend. All sorts of winter camping skills to learn.

JT

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks campingkids...the best winter camping skill I learned was to make a hotel reservation!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kitchenmonkey said:
I usually fish GG ponds 10 yardsstraight away from the concrete valve thingy on the dam in just about 8 fow.  Just off the bottom with a yellow/silver teardrop jig tipped with half a mealworm.  Caught lots of little stockers and some suckers. Keep your suckers.  Put them in a plastic baggie and keep them in your freezer for when you want to go after lake trout at Granby.  You'll soon find out that suckers are expensive at the store.  catching your own bait is lots more fun and heck of a lot cheaper!  Good luck !
I was thinking of keeping any suckers for the possible future. Do you cut them up ahead of time or freeze them whole. If cutting up, how big of pieces do you normally end up using. Figured someday I might try for some lakers and might as well use the free bait if I catch it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
One of these days, I just know she's gonna buy me a fridge for the garage.
my mom gets mad sometimes so my dad and i use our cooler that plugs into the wall or a 12v outlet. works great for defrosting and then nobody minds the mess the fish make

1 - 12 of 12 Posts