Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be spending the weekend at Golden Gate State Park (my wife and I have rented a Yurt). Does anyone have any suggestions on where and how to fish there? Given the weather and time of year all I can think of is find someone on the ice and beat them up for their auger (or wait for them to leave and use the holes they left behind).

I just don't know how much there is frozen, or if some of the streams might be somewhat ice free...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The Golden Gate Park I know is in San Francisco, and it has never been known to have ice! :)

W

·
0 Posts
I do a lot of mountain biking up in the park during the summer. There is a small pond just west of the visitor center and another larger one just a mile or so west of there. I have seen icefisherman on the larger lake. The streams are very small so don't think they would be worth fishing. I would think the ponds are still frozen but haven't been up there for a month or so. It's a beautiful park and usually not too crowded. Enjoy yourself.

M

·
0 Posts
The pond next to the visitor was off limits to fishing last time I was there. The bigger "lake" is open to fishing and there is another pond on the opposite side of the road from it. The folks at the visitor center are very friendly and will help you out. Not sure about the ice this time of year - they can probably give you advice.

As far as fishing, Terry Wickstrom has a show that was filmed at the "lake". He was catching rainbows 8-12" using white jigs and waxworms.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Golden Gate Canyon? Walking Eagle now you have me confused! If it's the state park near Golden, It probably will still have ice (but will it be safe?) I would call, they should have someone there.  
Sounds like a good weekend!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
james said:
Golden Gate Canyon? Walking Eagle now you have me confused!
No, really, there is a Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, maybe named after the Golden Gate Bridge, I don't know. Used to be a nice place, now it's full of homeless, permanently camped there. Nobody bothers them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
when i would ice fsih kriley pond i always used a fly (anything brown works) with a small piece of worm. i caught a few dozen fish off this technique. if you go to kriley fish 10 feet off teh dam and about 15 feet away from the cement pipe thing (15 ft towards teh parking lot). at the other little pond across teh road and down a bit fish in the middle of the pond inbetween the picnic table and the tree with teh wall underneath (you'll understand when you see it). for open water i have no clue, maybe fly under a bubble?

M

·
0 Posts
well i dont know about the ice conditions... i would think they would be alright, however dont expect a good answer if you call... i called during february, and he said.. "there is about 16 inches, but the ice is never safe." i was like what?

he said, well ice isnt safe, i wouldnt fish it

so basically just ask how thick, hehehe

lots of stockers and some suckers (im pretty sure)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I made a day trip of following Ralston Creek from near my home in Arvada to Golden Gate Canyon Park last weekend. Starting below Arvada Reservoir the only signs of life are birds and lots of muskrats. Arvada Res. looked nice and ready for opening day next week. Most of the river above Arvada Res. is closed and or private. Just east of the Park along Drew Hill Rd. is a small stretch of public land that had some open water. I saw one brook trout. Most of the creek was frozen solid in the park, but it should be opening up soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts