Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna fish CC tomorrow. Anyone been there latly? Any tips for this time of year? Weather is not going to be to bad tomorrow. Maybe all the water sporters will sleep in.

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Jay,

I spent 9 hours there last weekend. The problem right now with Cherry Creek and with several other local fisheries is that there is an abudance of baitfish. We were marking a lot of fish with the electronics but there were huge clouds of baitfish all around the area and this was constant throughout the night. With the lower temps at night that we have been having, the baitfish will start to die off and fishing will dramatically increase. Bass fishing for fall will be absolutley awesome! Be carefull what you are throwing this time of year. Example: Spinnerbaits were designed to mimic packs of baitfish. With the baitfish being heavy right now, thats probably not the best option to be throwing. When the baitfish die off, this would be a great option! Even though the fishing was tough and slow, we still got into some wiper and walleye but it was not as hot as usual. Hope this helps Jay. You might try Chatfield as I got into smallmouth the other day and yes they had some size to them. They were not the same size as my lure like usual.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mann's Minus 1's and 1/4oz traps in bone w/ orange belly. Also 4" Roboworms rigged drop-shot in Purple/Brown holograph. By the way, I was fishing along the dam--back & forth then again & again.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bassmasters65 said:
we still got into some wiper and walleye but it was not as hot as usual.
What were you pulling for them? I plan on trolling large spoons and cranks.

I fished the hell out of CF this sumeer and got over 100 smallies. Ive yet to give up on CC but that may change this time tomorrow.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll tell you what Jay, if you can find wipers that are in a feeding frenzy on the surface then you will be in luck at Cherry Creek. Before the baitfish die-off takes place, the wipers will push them towards the surface and start feasting on them. When this occurs you will see them feeding and turning in a very aggressive manor. If you can get close and throw topwater stuff like Spooks and Poppers, they will nail the crap out of it. Keep in mind you need to work the lure pretty fast!!! If you do not have any luck at Cherry Creek, call me and maybe we can scoot over to Chatfield. I will be fishing my nornal stuff in the morning from 4:30am till 9am and then I will be free.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
bassmasters65-You got me confused here-you say that this is not the time of year to be throwing baits that mimic baitfish.  IMHO this is EXACTLY the time of year to be throwing lures that mimic baitfish.

You report that a Manns minus 1 and a 1/4 oz. trap were producing-both these lures do exactly guess what-they mimic baitfish. ::)

F

·
0 Posts
I've heard of a couple guys tossing silver kastmasters into wipers when they are on a feeding frenzy .....The person I talked told me to cast right into them and let the kastmaster drop ....on the drop it looks like a dead baitfish falling and it drives fish nuts ......I need to get into some wipers its like hooking into a pissed off frieght train !!!!!

F

·
0 Posts
I can see why using stuff that looked like bait fish wouldnt work ...They are to abundant!!!!!So for wipers that arent in a feeding frenzy getting a reaction strike is your best bet ....I've done good on all species of fish burning lipless cranks ...its like the fish dont have time to think they just nail it....I dont know if its anger or the fact that most bass hate to see anything get away from them .....Next time your fishing for bass and you can see them in the shallows burn a jig and pig past them it drives them crazy

·
Registered
131 Posts
Kirby,

If you slowley re-read my post, I said that the spinnerbaits "mimic packs of baitfish", not single baitfish. These fish are eating so many baitfish that they are not as interested in the baitfish substitutes. When the baitfish die off, the fish will be more than happy to accept the substitute. These fish are really filling up on the baitfish.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
bassmasters65-A Manns and a trap ARE baitfish substitutes.

F

·
0 Posts
kirby I think he was talking about what he used at chatfield for smallmouths

·
Registered
131 Posts
You are exactly right fishinguitars! A reaction strike is where my money is right now. With the traps and cranks, I am catching fish who are not part of the pack who are chasing baitfish. Whey are just hanging out and all of a sudden, they see this trap come flying by and they can't help themsevles, they just knock the crap out of it! You are also right about the jig/pig in the shallows also. I caught several largemouth that way this morning.  

·
Registered
131 Posts
That would be correct fishinguitars! Chatfield & Cherry Creek were meant to be two different topics.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
With the luck that we have had this year at CC, Jay. My advice to fish somewhere else. :)

But then again I did give it a try last week and continue to beat myself up at Chatfield. So who am I to talk?

Dan

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im going to try, try again. A few years ago it was just like it is now. No good # of fish all year. Than 1 day we got 14 walleyes. 6 keepers. Im hoping that day will be tomorrow(Yea right)

We'll see

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

F

·
0 Posts
this is going to sound retarted but confidence plays a big role in my fishing . If I'm doubting the lake or pond that im fishing I dont fish as hard, and dont take the time to give my presentation the way I want to . The most satisfying fishing trips I have is when I have to figure the fish out, but without confidence that just doesnt work . I would map out where you are going to fish...flats,points,rip rap...Then go through all the different techniques you think will produce . If the fish arent taking one presentation figure them out ....If all else fails hit the bluegill pond on the way home to avoid the skunk!!!!!!!Don't even think about the skunk, positive attitude will go along way in anything ....

C

·
0 Posts
FG, you are totally right! If I have any negativity at all in mind about fishing I won't go. I'll sit at home and clean my reels or organize my fishing gear. I have to have fishing on my mind. Then, when things aren't going well, I can open up my mind and come up with fishing options and alternatives.

F

·
0 Posts
Im guilty of going out when I'm not in the right mind set ....Even the getting the skunk puts me in a good mood !!!I have so much tackle Its always a chore before I go fishing to pick out which boxes im going to take

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats why im not giving up. I know there are fish in there and am going to try my damnest to get some tomorrow, Time will tell.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts