Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come on guys need some suggestions for a place to get some good BBQ at. I prefer a good chopped brisket sandwich or some ribs. I have tried Famous Dave's, Brothers, Firehouse, and Lil John's BBQ and I found them all to be mediocre at best with Lil John's the best of the bunch imo. Any smaller establishments I should check out?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I haven't had a rib tipped sandwich since I moved here from Illinois a year ago. I have never had a complaint about the ribbs I grill.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Especially based off of your name you should like Jabo's BBQ off of Arapahoe and I-25. Oklahoma transplant that makes all his own sauces and smokes over hickory and oak. Good stuff, a little sweet sometimes if you get his apricot BBQ but the rest is money. Also check out The Old West BBQ in Castle Rock, kind of a hole in the wall joint but the Q is smokey and the sauce is really nice, spicy and sweet but not too much of either.

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
Jackson Street BBQ in Kaufman, TX.... Killer ribs and brisket (chopped brisket sandwich style is really good), free beer on friday nights, and one hellova salad bar...

Sorry Soonerfisher, you know where the BEST bbq is, in your old backyard...

BHR

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
hit up mrwiggles. maybe he'll invite you to his house :D. ain't ever had it but the pics look awesome! what area are you in?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I haven't been impressed with any bbq here since I was in Memphis a few years back.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. I will have to check out the suggestions. I have been missing good BBQ since I left Oklahoma. I read the old BBQ post that hummus cannonball posted as well. Yes I should hit up MrWiggles. I am in Northglenn but am willing to travel for good BBQ ;D

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
soonerfisher said:
Thanks for the replies. I will have to check out the suggestions. I have been missing good BBQ since I left Oklahoma. I read the old BBQ post that hummus cannonball posted as well. Yes I should hit up MrWiggles. I am in Northglenn but am willing to travel for good BBQ ;D
there is a joint called Hoke's in Arvada. On the corner of 88th and Garrison. The meat is well smoked, but the sides suck. Very good prices on cheap swill! So... beer and meat, might just be the place yer thinking of!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I do likey the BBQ... I use a few diff kinds of woods, depending on meat. I've used mesquite, pecan, hickory, oak, apple, walnut....

I like mesquite, oak and pecan best...but not for chicken, or pork. Apple, I've had a hard time mastering...tends to dry out meat, IMO....

Anyway....

Piggin' out, in Bear Creek was my all time fav, but I think they're closed down now.... I do like Sam Taylor's on Cherry and Leetsdale, but the only thing I really like there anymore is the rib tips. I agree with whomever it was that suggested Jabo's. I go there at least 2 times a month. His pulled pork is better than his brisket, IMO, but all of his food is good.

I'm from Texas, so I'm not really a big sauce man...I prefer my meat do the talking. I'm all about the rub and smoke. Piggin' Out was the only place here in the Metro, that I felt shared that sentiment.

Good luck on your BBQ quest...I gave up awhile ago...if I don't think it's better than mine, I'm never too impressed...but I'm kind of a BBQ snob.... ;D

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I've got an idea. How about we put together a BBQ at a park somewhere in the metro area. Rent a park with a covered area, some big area to play some ball, and some grills. Anyone who wants to or willing to cook (donate) their time and meat for a bunch of folks for a great time is welcome. We can get some side dishes and deserts for the gig! People can/will donate money for the food. All the money goes to a local kids fishing group or something like that! That could be fun. Then we can locate the best BBQ in town. There is a park around Wadsworth and Hampden. It has a couple small ponds with gills, bass and kitties. Folks can fish, eat good food and have a fun time.
Alright, maybe not, but it sounds like fun. Could something like this happen?

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
baetisrun1 said:
I've got an idea. How about we put together a BBQ at a park somewhere in the metro area. Rent a park with a covered area, some big area to play some ball, and some grills. Anyone who wants to or willing to cook (donate) their time and meat for a bunch of folks for a great time is welcome. We can get some side dishes and deserts for the gig! People can/will donate money for the food. All the money goes to a local kids fishing group or something like that! That could be fun. Then we can locate the best BBQ in town. There is a park around Wadsworth and Hampden. It has a couple small ponds with gills, bass and kitties. Folks can fish, eat good food and have a fun time.
Alright, maybe not, but it sounds like fun. Could something like this happen?
Make it happen... ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts