Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had about 20 minutes to blow before I had to pick up my wife from work, so I went to a lake in Lakewood to try for a few gills... Unfortunately I had taken all my gear out of my car yesterday except my fly rod and creel (which had my fly box inside).

So... what was there to do? I grabbed em, ran out to the lake, ran my line through the eyelets and....... ****!!!! I was missing my first eyelet!

Total bummer. Anyway, I tried to fish without it, but kept getting the fly line tangled around these little nubs.

Finally got into a little routine of fixed length line casting... Just held the line tight against the rod and used about 15 feet of line. No stripping, just cast out and raise the rod tip to move the fly. I had several gills chase the little nymph but none would commit.

Just as I was getting ready to leave, I tried one more cast, right into a mossy flat about 10 feet from shore. I started the slow retrieve and one darted out of nowhere and grabbed the fly! I wasn't really expecting it, and didn't see it as it happened, just noticed that I couldn't see the glimmer of the brass bead on the head of the fly for a minute, then saw a fish where my fly should have been. Took me a second, but I set the hook and.........

Missed.

He just spit it out as I went to set. It was pretty exciting though! The polarized glasses are insane. I don't know how I ever fished without them.

Anyway, it was a real treat, seeing those fish chase the fly... If I'd had more time, I would have been able to figure out exactly what they wanted and caught one or two. But as I looked at my watch (phone) I realized that I should have been in Englewood 5 minutes ago to pick up my wife. I sprinted to the car, hopped in, only to hit traffic. The wife called me and asked where I was... I didn't even care. =) I was just happy to have had a little action on the fly rod today.

Now....... HOW OR WHERE DO I GET THE EYELET ON MY ROD REPAIRED?!??! I NEED TO GET BACK OUT THERE!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks hobie. I'm wondering also if this is a terribly difficult fix on my own... I'm no rod builder, but it can't be THAT friggin difficult... Can it?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Google / You Tube

I bet you can find out how to do it with a search.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I DO have a convertible Wright and McGill 9 foot 4 piece Trailmaster combo. Just until I get my Sage fixed.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I am going to deal with it for now... If I were going after browns up in some high water, I might just have to get it fixed asap, but I think I'll be on gills and crappie here locally until I move. Might hit up Clear Creek one more time before I go, but probably use UL spinning gear with Panthers.

I just don't have much time or $$ to send it anywhere or pay someone to do it locally. When I get relocated, I'll hit up a fly shop and try to get it fixed... Wish I could find that eyelet... Tore my car apart looking for it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Call nick at golden river sports he does rod building classes regularly and I'm sure he will walk you through a fix right there if not fix it then

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
If you're going to keep using the rod the way it is i'd file down those nubs so it doesn't tear up the line. Maybe even cut the whole guide off, and file it smooth.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I couldn't find any Shakespeare rod that was in the wheelhouse. Either they're the correct weight, but too short, or the correct length, but too heavy weight.

9' and either 4 or 5 weight is my preference. However going after these gills makes me want a little tiny ass 0 weight or 1 weight. ;)

And Pete, thanks for the suggestion. It'll have an eyelet at some point. It's very difficult to strip and pull without a bottom eyelet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sunday I made my first cast on the Poudre with the last fly I had on the leader from last fall. Lost it on a rock so I was tying on a new one and set my fly box on the rock next to me. I had a home made foam insert that held about 100 flies and fits into my metal fly box. I use it to quickly change patterns as hatches change throughout the year. Within 5 seconds of placing it on the rock a gust of wind took it about 20 ft. out into the fast water. All I could do was watch the tiny raft disappear downstream. Not a good way to kick of the '14 season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts