Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good heaters for inside the fishing hut? Does everyone here use a carbon monoxide detector, or just make sure you keep good circulation of air, and use your better judgement. Being that jimt72 and i like to perforate the ice quite a bit, and move rods around, i dont see a huge need for a big comfortable ice hut, maybe something just small where we can keep a heater and go inside for short periods of time for some heat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Big Buddy that works fine and I don't use a CO detector but I'm careful to vent when I run it. To my recollection, the buddy heaters have a low O2 shutoff which could still lead to a high and dangerous CO concentration while still having O2 to breathe. CO doesn't require that many ppm to diminish your lung's ability to absorb oxygen by bonding more readily to your blood cells and poisoning you. These are plenty safe to use but venting is the key.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I take along a Coleman sportcat. Small and simple. Frequently don't even need to fire it up, but it can make a difference early in the morning or to rewarm your hands. Takes the chill off a small flip up shelter real fast. You should assume you are exposing yourself to CO with any heater and just use as much ventilation as you can stand. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts