Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good hip pack or fanny pack or backpack for non-fly fishing? I love my fishpond hip pack for fly-fishing but am looking for something that will allow me to be mobile while spin casting from shore. A pack that can hold an assortment of stuff like lures, plastics, bobbers, etc... Basically, a slimmed down version of my current tackle box that I can wear rather than carry. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Something that looks like a purse but is not one.
I use something I found at Goodwill with a shoulder strap made from a nylon dog leash.
Add a cheap Walmart recycle grocery bag for carrying drinks or a jacket or a dead fish.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I need to find something of the same sorts also, but my problem is i always pack unnecessary amounts of lures when in actuality i use like 2 of them lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to find something of the same sorts also, but my problem is i always pack unnecessary amounts of lures when in actuality i use like 2 of them lol
Exactly. A hip pack that holds a few lures, some plastics, maybe a bobber, weights, hooks, etc. Would be great being mobile while shore fishing.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Exactly. A hip pack that holds a few lures, some plastics, maybe a bobber, weights, hooks, etc. Would be great being mobile while shore fishing.
I have 2 plato containers filled with lures that I jut put in a backpack along with a water bottle, so i am pretty mobile on shore its just i have to walk with a heavy backpack

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 2 plato containers filled with lures that I jut put in a backpack along with a water bottle, so i am pretty mobile on shore its just i have to walk with a heavy backpack
I could just throw my cases I already have in my tackle bag into my backpack but after fly fishing I want something more accessible. When fly fishing I have a hip pack that is small and holds everything I need. I have found myself throwing a few lures in this pack and using it while shore fishing so I can move around and set up quick and change lures quickly without hauling around a tackle box. It would be nice to have something like this designed for shore fishing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've been using an earlier model of this one for several years.
http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/products/all-lumbar-packs/tour-tls.html
The earlier model has somewhat different stablizer straps on the sides (by the water bottle carriers) that I actually use to carry a second flyrod, which angles back and upward on my left side. Works great in open areas and while wading where you want to have a second rod handy rigged with something different, but have to take it out in brushy areas. I also installed a magnetic release on the shoulder strap for carrying my net, which I've found very handy as well. There are two models now with different capacities to choose from, but can't tell how well the second-rod carrying feature I use will still work with them or not. I carry 8 or so fly boxes in mine, so it has good capacity for fly fishing, not so sure how it would be for volume of spin tackle, however. JAX has them if you happen to be up in the Loveland or FC area.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been using an earlier model of this one for several years.
http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/products/all-lumbar-packs/tour-tls.html
The earlier model has somewhat different stablizer straps on the sides (by the water bottle carriers) that I actually use to carry a second flyrod, which angles back and upward on my left side. Works great in open areas and while wading where you want to have a second rod handy rigged with something different, but have to take it out in brushy areas. I also installed a magnetic release on the shoulder strap for carrying my net, which I've found very handy as well. There are two models now with different capacities to choose from, but can't tell how well the second-rod carrying feature I use will still work with them or not. I carry 8 or so fly boxes in mine, so it has good capacity for fly fishing, not so sure how it would be for volume of spin tackle, however. JAX has them if you happen to be up in the Loveland or FC area.
Very cool and getting close. I am going to look into this.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
$100 bucks to carry a few lures around your ass :thumb: Been using the same $10 Wally world backpack for 15 years. Holds a small soft sided 6 pack cooler and a couple boxes of lures no problem. Heck even a little room left over for chew, smokes and bug spray.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$100 bucks to carry a few lures around your ass :thumb: Been using the same $10 Wally world backpack for 15 years. Holds a small soft sided 6 pack cooler and a couple boxes of lures no problem. Heck even a little room left over for chew, smokes and bug spray.
Cool, I might do that tonight only I will be adding a rain poncho.

Have you ever fly fished with a nice pack? It is heavenly. Everything you need on your waist. No need to carry around a bag or a backpack, you have everything you need on your hip. I am looking for something I can keep in my car. Grab it, grab my fishing pole, and head out on foot looking for good spots. I find that I want to be more mobile but end up generally stationary as it is a pain to carry around a bag and move.

So tonight I may give the backpack a try. Just saying that a hip pack could be sweet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's a couple backpacks designed for fishing, although I imagine one would want to take them off and drop it on the shore while casting. Cool features are the horizontal storage space for the 3600 Plano boxes and the insulated upper compartment for drinks and bait.

http://www.basspro.com/Browning-Fishing-Backpack-Tackle-Bag/product/1306190656083/

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Stalker-Backpack-Tackle-Bag-or-System/product/1304050935/

Often times you see Kayak fishers with a milk crate that has a 3 piece rod holder zip tied to it. That would not be a bad option as well, especially when using more than 1 rod. Just put on a couple d-rings, a shoulder strap and away you go.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I bet there are some acutally fanny packs out there that could fit a couple 8x4" or so plato boxes,or just buy a satchel and rock that ****.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have the Mountainsmith pack Nympho is talking about as well, awesome bag! If you don't like he single shoulder strap they have a pair of shoulder straps you can upgrade to...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been using a backpack and it has been working great! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I am good to go for now!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Anyone know of a good hip pack or fanny pack or backpack for non-fly fishing? I love my fishpond hip pack for fly-fishing but am looking for something that will allow me to be mobile while spin casting from shore. A pack that can hold an assortment of stuff like lures, plastics, bobbers, etc... Basically, a slimmed down version of my current tackle box that I can wear rather than carry. Any ideas?
This is a light, good sized waist pack you can get Plano 3500's into easily. You can check them out at either Cabela's front range stores.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers8482-Waist-Pack/1571764.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=advanced+angler+waist+pack&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&Ntt=advanced+angler+waist+pack&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

1 - 20 of 24 Posts