Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the CDOw is pushing ahead with a fish screen at Rifle Gap, if completed should allow walleyes again to be stocked in Rifle, more likey it will get a sterle walleye though. Ok you guys don't fall over of a heart attack when I say GOOD job CDOW!

The Colorado Division of Wildlife (CDOW) is proposing to construct a fish screen in Rifle Creek to prevent or minimize non-native fish from Rifle Gap Reservoir from entering the downstream Colorado River via Rifle Creek. Rifle Creek and Rifle Gap Reservoir are located in Garfield County, westcentral Colorado.

The purpose of this action is to:

• to minimize non-native fish movement into endangered fish habitat and to assist in recovery of the endangered fish in the Colorado River and

• to potentially facilitate management to include stocking of a warm-water recreational fishery in Rifle Gap Reservoir.

The Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation) would issue a License Agreement to allow the fish screen to be constructed on lands under the jurisdiction of Reclamation. The attached draft environmental assessment (EA) has been prepared in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act to address the effects of the construction and operation of the fish screen. Please review the EA and provide comments by April 20.

Following review of the draft assessment, Reclamation will consider comments received and prepare a final assessment. If you have any questions on the proposal or the environmental assessment, please contact Steve McCall with Reclamation in Grand Junction at (970) 248-0638 or by email at [email protected] or Terry Stroh with Reclamation in Grand Junction at 970-248-0608 or by email at [email protected] . The CDOW can be contacted at [email protected]. Comments on the assessment should be sent to the above email address or mailed to:

Carol DeAngelis, Area Manager
Bureau of Reclamation

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
HILARIOUS !! There are so many agencies that have to approve this it is going to take a lifetime to get anywhere. By the time they can all agree, the environmental impact study will be out of date and they will have to start over.

I think the feds and the ESA have the final say so on any stocking, screen or no screen.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Got to start somewhere, I know Lori has been working pretty hard on this.
I hope to see it go through.

the funny thing I noticed though, it states that once the screen is in place to help keep non-native fish out of the creek they will be stocking rainbows below the screen !

·
Registered
978 Posts
FishLip said:
Got to start somewhere, I know Lori has been working pretty hard on this.
I hope to see it go through.

the funny thing I noticed though, it states that once the screen is in place to help keep non-native fish out of the creek they will be stocking rainbows below the screen !
They started thinking about this years ago, how many years does it take to get a small project done. I bet it will be atleast another 5 years before they start on it, if they ever do.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Well at least they are thinking about it...its a step in the right direction...

·
Registered
844 Posts
This is the first I've seen it get past lip service from the DOW so I definately see it as a plus to have the B of Rec. actually getting involved.
I hope they can get past the sterile fish ideas of the past though and start protecting the walleye already in the lake by closing the season for a couple years.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I just had a 30min phone conversation with Lori Martin about the fish screen and the stocking plans for Rifle Gap. They have a plan in place to stock a large number of 1.5-3" sterile walleyes in the reservior this year. They had hopes to stock a larger size but apperently they start eating each other while in captivity and its rare to breed sterile walleyes any larger in hatcheries. She said that they also have plans to stock more tiger muskies (22-27") in harvey this year. They put 150 in last time that size and plan on putting as many if not more in this year. She then invited me to ride along with them on a electrofishing trip in both lakes (she assured me that every fish would be released). Harvey gap on April 7th and Rifle Gap later in the month. I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Do you have any link to this? In all likely hood I'd be one of the main designers for the fish screen, but I have never heard of it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
They have said this same thing for almost 8 years I think now. I'll believe it when I see it. They say the same thing every year. It'll be this year, It'll be this year. This thread alone was started in 2011 and it still has never happened. Lori always has and always will just tell you what you want to hear. I hope it goes through but I wouldn't hold your breath.

·
Registered
135 Posts
She told me last fall that they hoped to get the screen installed in 2015!!!
And also, why do they have to be sterile? If they have a screen installed, why do they need to be sterile?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
She told me last fall that they hoped to get the screen installed in 2015!!!
And also, why do they have to be sterile? If they have a screen installed, why do they need to be sterile?
Because of bucket biologist! It's more expensive initially to get sterile fish but in the long run it's less expensive then having to clean up other peoples messes. Like the perch in BM or Ruedi reservoir. And last fall the screen was already in place, not sure why they would tell you that.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Anyone know is there a good population of crappie and gills in both lakes I wanna come up in the summer
Both lakes have good populations of crappie but they all run small (4-6"). Harvey is starting to produce some decent gills, nothing huge though. Both lakes need better management, but because the western slope, Utah, and Arizona are so dead set on protecting useless native fish in the river, thats not going to happen. I'll be curious to see what we find in Harvey when we elctrofish it in April.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts