Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 year-old grandson loves to fish, and we've been pretty successful doing ice fishing, but open water is another matter.

As a kid growing up in western Nebraska, I knew all the ponds with bluegills and bass near home, but not out here (I live in Longmont).

I have taken him out to a couple of lakes near here this spring, but we have been skunked each time. Tonight he was telling me how much he wants to catch a largemouth. I'm sure bluegills would be very satisfying to him as well.

Can anyone suggest a place along the Front Range where he might experience a little success? I would love to see him reeling in a few fish for a change. I don't want to see him quit fishing.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Izzak Walton on Sunset. Cat tail pond right next fairgrounds arena. Like 100 feet away, not the the fairgroudns like.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Yup, St Vrain Parks. Right in your backyard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, St Vrain Parks. Right in your backyard.
We fished the main lake last week, which I think has trout. Caught nothing. Saw a few folks with some little trout, but nothing else. Are some of the other lakes better for gills and largemouth?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
We fished the main lake last week, which I think has trout. Caught nothing. Saw a few folks with some little trout, but nothing else. Are some of the other lakes better for gills and largemouth?
I haven't been in years now but those ponds are usually well stocked with catchable trout. Take a look here: http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/StockingReport.aspx

It looks like St Vrain was stocked in February. You can also sift through the data to see if there is a fishery close to you that was stocked recently.

As far as lakes for gills and largemouth, people might not be as willing to spill the beans. There are some in St Vrain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Izzak Walton on Sunset. Cat tail pond right next fairgrounds arena. Like 100 feet away, not the the fairgroudns like.
We've done Isaac Walton before. No good for us. But I know of the fairgrounds lake and never tried it. That might be a good idea. Very close to our house. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts