Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just purchased my first fly outfit today along with various flies and all the accompanying gear. I was hoping for a little advice on a good place close to denver to get some casts in. Something small with trout, pan fish, bass, or anything really that might eat a fly. I work pretty close to Rocky Mountain arsenal and may try that this weekend. Also if there is any place with decent bait fishing for the wife that would be even better. Thanks in advance for any info or tips. I'm pretty excited to get out there and get fish number one!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'd start on any still water that has regs for bait (if the old lady is coming). Any local pond with good room for a back cast would be a good start as well.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Wash park actually sucks now, Grasmere is mostly off limits and Smith is too busy with folks walking around to cast around . All the city parks ponds do have panfish. Find a less busy one and practice away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My time off is pretty limited right now. Hence the planned morning trips to the arsenal for panfish bass and pike. The wife decided that we are going to camp at Horse tooth this weekend so i will try there. at least to get my line in the water and out of the grass in the backyard. I have read boulder creek is pretty good for begginers also. I will have to get a new copy of fishing close to home and start trying some ponds. Thanks for the info and any other places would be great. I will try and post when i start to catch something haha.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info underground? any particular place at Aurora? Or just cruise the banks until i find a place that looks like it will hold some panfish/small bass? I wilol try my luck at Horsetooth this weekend, and most likely try arsenal on tuesdya morning.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks for the info underground? any particular place at Aurora? Or just cruise the banks until i find a place that looks like it will hold some panfish/small bass? I wilol try my luck at Horsetooth this weekend, and most likely try arsenal on tuesdya morning.
used to fish the west side of aurora about 100 yards from the dam. fish rainbow power bait on the bottom. you will have steady action in the afternoon/evening

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Personally, Wayne, I think Aurora is a tough place to go for a beginner. For your bait fishing options, what Homeboy said is accurate. You can also use worms. However, for a new-to-fishing person or at least new to fly fishing, Aurora's access and tight lipped fish might frustrate you.

Golden Rod's suggestion was pretty spot on, honestly. Local ponds are a little easier and will offer you some room to learn to cast, as long as they're not packed with people.

I was going to mention a few specific ponds, but if you want that info, I'd rather do it via PM. I think you mentioned you have the fishing close to home book. That's a great resource. I used it a lot in the early 90's. I wish I'd known how much of a gem it really was. It put me on a lake with very willing tiger muskies in it, but I had no clue how to fish for them.

Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Evergreen lake can be an awesome place for fly beginners. Also, there's a pond across from smith reservoir behind some apartments off like Kipling and Jewell that is full of bluegill, bass, crappie, perch and who knows what else. It's been a while since I fished it but it was hard to not catch something. I remember having a killer time catching gills and bass on dry flies and hoppers and stuff. There were fish all over. aurora would be one of the last places I'd recommend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again everyone for the replies. Im new to the forum and new to CO fishing and have had success bait fishing with the boy based upon tips and advice found here. I will try some local ponds with the fly rod soon and see what i get and post reports for everyone.

Whomp, i found the pond you are talking about on google maps. Maybe mid next week ill drive up after work and give it a shot.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Go to any local pond. Bluegill eat anything small. Ask a fly shop in the area for tips and pick up at least 6 flies the recomind. Small local shops never let me down

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you're new, my recommendation is to start at the local park with open space. Get some time casting without all the obstacles. This way when you hit the water, you can spend more of the day fishing and not untangling line from vegetation. My 2¢

·
Registered
1 Posts
Park at Echo Lake. Hike to Idaho Springs Reservoir. Stand on dam to eliminate backcast issues. Tie on a small dry fly. Lots of small fish. Earlier in the day will have less head wind.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thornton Gravel Ponds isn't too far from where you work and the ponds are open until the end of October. You may or may not catch anything but the ponds have trout, bass and sunfish. Pretty open to practice casting. You just missed the fishing season at the Arsenal as they closed on the 13th. it's a fun place for sunfish, bass and possibly pike. They only allow fishing on certain days and have other regulations. Barr Lake might be a good option for practicing this fall. Clear Creek and Bear Creek though you will have more to worry about with moving water, rocks and brush.

·
Registered
438 Posts
a good place to practice your fly casting skills is the Platt between Chatfield spillway and C470. The water is moving but not too fast and there are all kinds of fish in there that come thru the dam.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts