Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m breaking my own promise to myself because of this post. I swore to myself I wouldn’t comment on any of the Bronco threads, but I just can’t keep my tongue still anymore. I swore off the Broncos and the NFL in January of 2006 after the Broncos miserable showing in the AFC Championship game versus the Steelers. I guess 3 out of 3 was too much to ask for; you see I had the good fortune of attending 3 AFC Championship games in Denver. The first was the 1988 game versus the Browns which is famous for the “Fumble.” Second on the agenda was 1998 against the Jets and Elway’s last game in Mile High. That’s right not Invesco Field at Mile High, but MILE HIGH STADIUM!

Flipping stadium deals and naming rights. Yeah, I’m just a little bitter and nostalgic. I had first level seats for all three championship games. The thought never crossed my mind to sell my seats for the first two, but it did for the 2006 affair. However, I swore off the nice profit I would have made if I had chosen to sell because I was a BRONCOS FAN and I didn’t want to allow some punk Steeler fans to occupy seats in “OUR” house and give the visiting team an edge.

Well if I knew then what I know now, I should have sold the damn seats and took the money and run. After all, that’s what most of the other so called fans and players did. On game day I couldn’t believe how many Steeler fans were in the stadium. Of course it didn’t help that Plummer threw a crucial pick right before half that pretty much sealed Denver’s fate that day, not to mention the fumble in the second half as well. It was after those games that I finally realized that win or lose the guys on the field still get paid six figures or more depending upon their skills and agent’s negotiating skills. Quite honestly, I feel most of the players don’t give a damn about the folks in the stands who attend the games, buy all the merchandise and watch the games on TV which generates the ungodly revenue streams to pay their inflated salaries. Yeah the same folks that go to work day in a day out and make a fraction of what these players make, you and me. Well used to be me, but not anymore. Hell I even used to be heavily into fantasy football leagues as well, but I hung that up too.

Call me a fair weather fan because I was a diehard when Elway was in town. Yeah, I was fortunate to have attended all the games I did and witness his numerous fourth quarter comebacks, but I honestly feel the game has changed since then as well. Where are the likes of players we revered such as TJ (Tom Jackson), Keith Bishop, Rod Smith, Chicken (Tyrone Braxton) and Sammy Winder to name a few? You don’t see players like that anymore. Mostly all you see now are “I” guys. It’s all about them and not the team or the game. I don’t have to name any because we all know who they are.

Now I spend my Sunday afternoons tinkering in the garage or spending time with my wife and kids and I don’t miss it at all. You’d be surprised what you can accomplish in three hours not sitting in front of the tube second guessing or cussing out the SOB’s making more money than you and I’ll see in our lifetimes. Try it you might like it or discover something else you have a passion for. Sorry for the long post but thanks for letting me vent!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Really appreciate the substantive and well-written post, Checker. Much of it expresses my own journey also. Some of the reasons for my lessening interest are different than yours, but at the same time what you've mentioned is a part of it as well. It's weird, but I reflect back on the days that I was so into it all and it now feels foreign. I still think football (& other sports) are very good games, and sometimes fun to watch, but . . . they have fallen way down on my preferred activities list. The game's not the same, and I'm not either.

But at least you sure witnessed some wonderful Broncos moments, eh? Saw "The Fumble", huh? That's cool, and no one can take that away from you. One of my very favorite Broncos memories (I wasn't there in person) no one seems to ever mention. Maybe you were there. I believe the year was 1991, and it was the divisional playoff game (at Mile High) against the Houston Oilers. AMAZING GAME!! Everyone talks about "The Drive" of course, but I thought the last-minute heroics by Elway & Co. in the game I'm talking about outstripped even that. He hit Vance Johnson on a live-or-die 4th down conversion on a play that showed Elway's phenomenal athleticism running, then passing (I can still see that play). When we kicked the game-winning field goal, the normally composed Warren Moon (whom I really liked, btw) threw down his Dixie cup of water in disgust. Perhaps my favorite Broncos game of all-time. I just wanted to mention that b/c I never hear others do so. Thought you might've been there. :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hop I witnessed some great games during Elway's era. I do recall the Oilers game, but my all time favorite is attending the 1994 Monday nighter versus Montana and the Chiefs. Man what a game. Elway and Montana battling it out to the bitter end. Unfortunately, Montana got the ball last with like a minute and some change left after Elway led one of his patented 4 quarter drives to take the lead. Montana was like a surgeon and drove the Chiefs down the field to win the game. Although it resulted in a loss that was a hell of game between two eventual Hall of Famers.

I also witnessed Jason Elam tie Dempsey's 63 yarder.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
What's funny is I thought you were going to mention a different Monday Night see-saw thriller vs. the Chiefs -- except that the Bronc's came out on top 24-23 in this one. The year was 1990, and I watched it from our Motel 6 room in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

See, and games like that remind me how differently I felt about the whole thing back then. Really wrapped up in it and very happy they won. Nowadays I'd probably glance at the game off & on, in between looking for other stuff or reading.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
I was at that steelers game too. Stayed until midway through the 4th when the steelers went up by 3 scores, and I knew for sure it was over. Left dejected.

I hear ya, but I'll watch every game I can, or at least listen. Even though it's more of a "me, myself and I" attitude in pro football today, I will support them through thick and thin. That doesn't take away from the fact that I don't like this current regime and wouldn't mind seeing the house blown up after only 1.5 seasons. Its easy to see when something just ain't working. Granted Shanahan didn't have great teams through out this decade, but they were consistently a 500 team, and moving from an 8 win season to a 12 or 13 game season is a much smoother transition then moving from a 5 or 6 win season to that 12 or 13 win plateau.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I can't stand fairweather fans... Go root for the Raiders with the other tools on this site.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Hop said:
Maybe you were there. I believe the year was 1991, and it was the divisional playoff game (at Mile High) against the Houston Oilers. AMAZING GAME!!
I was at that game, Oilers were up 21-6 in the first half, that was awesome. The game definitely is not the same as it was, I love the game of football but refuse to infuse any of my income into it anymore!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Have been staying away from the spoiled millionaires and stuffy billionaires club for the past three years by fishing on many Sundays. They have a right to make as much as the market will bear by my **s isn't going to "bear" them one red cent! Go PIKE!

·
Registered
844 Posts
lucky7 said:
Have been staying away from the spoiled millionaires and stuffy billionaires club for the past three years by fishing on many Sundays. They have a right to make as much as the market will bear by my **s isn't going to "bear" them one red cent! Go PIKE!
You love em and you know it, buy the way I still haven't heard about the new apparatus to cure this new sickness???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts