Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am moving out to Denver on the 1st of November, making a road trip from my home in MD with my best friend who is going to stay for a week with me and do some fly fishing. I was wondering what rivers you would suggest trying out while we he is out there. We would like to fish in some beautiful scenery away from too many towns or roads etc...I'm not asking exact holes to fish in as I know how anglers hate to give up their spots, but what rivers would you recommend us looking into within an hour or two from Denver? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
The south platte would be a good starting point if you go midweek. 11-mile canyon will still be fishable, but cold, the Dream Stream can be good at times, other times it will throw you a skunk no matter what you try, but if you want to get away from it all, I'd look in the book and find something secluded.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome to Colorado. Well November can be a fun time with always a good possiblitiy of snow at any moment. First if you want a spot away from towns and where it can be difficult to get to i would first suggest you get some yak tracks, second what is your experence level of fishing bc most of the canyon fishing is very techniqual and tiny files size 18-26.
So you want to site see as you fish don't blame you im the same and hate fighting crowds but thats what you get when winter comes in most places bc the rivers freeze. I would think about looking into the 11 mile canyon and the dream stream, as well as Cheesman Canyon and the portion of the river there at Dekers. Dekers can get some nice size fish in the winter but it gets hit hard and if you want a good hole you need to get there early, always catch a decent one there every time just got to really pound the holes to get him to bite plus fight some of the stockers that can be there. Well good luck and welcome

·
Registered
70 Posts
Buy a copy of Marty Bartholomew's "Flyfishers Guide to Colorado". It has a ton of useful information. You'll use it a lot if you move out here. If you order it from Amazon now, you'll be able to study up before you get here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm far from "experienced" in fly-fishing (maybe have 20 days on the water total) so factor that into your decision making process. That said, you can't go wrong with 11-Mile Canyon this time of year. My first 3 days with a flyrod were on that stretch of river and I managed at least 7 fish each day. The fish might not be as big as other parts of the river, but if you can manage a good dead drift with your fly (that was the only instruction I was given), it seems like there are always fish to be had. Mid-week should be quite uncrowded this time of year. Try the stretch through the Spillway campground - late morning seems to be reliable for some dry action. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not a great fisherman- only been doing it two years, but my fav spot to fish in western md is the savage river- all reproducing browns and brooks and that river is very very hard to fish...mainly have to high stick pocket water because you cannot get a dead drift with all of the current patterns....ok thanks a lot guys...it looks like i will be looking into cheeseman canyon and clear stream...ill order that book and hopefully i get it in time to find some places to fish....btw, what fly fishing shop would u recommend for some knowledge and flies? i have the east coast hatches and it doesnt look like much of my stuff will work out there

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have fished the Savage, and I agree with you...very difficult and technical river to fish. If you succeed there, you should be fine in the 11 Mile Canyon and Cheesman Canyon stretches of the South Platte. If you have fished the North Branch of the Potomac or the Yock, the Colorado River upstream from the town of Kremmling up to the bottom of Byers Canyon may seem familiar as a big river, and may still be fishing OK. For Flyshops, I only know the southern part of town...The Hook, the Orvis factory store at Park Meadows Mall, and Anglers All in Littleton are all good sources of info and gear. OOps, last but not least, Colorado Skies in Parker is an awesome shop. Welcome to Colorado, and good luck!

The Waco Kid

1 - 7 of 7 Posts