Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking of getting one but I hear they freeze in 4k video after 30 minutes of use .want one for fishing this year , and heard they turn off after getting hot. anybody that knows about this please let me know don't want to spend money if it's not worth it
thank you

·
Registered
494 Posts
Glad you asked. It's not just the 8 it's pretty much any go pro. They do not handle heat well at all, may I recommend you purchase whats called a ear muff for a gopro it insulates it a bit so that your batteries last longer. I wouldn't waste your money on a GoPro 8 not much improved from GoPro 7. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I would highly recommend extra batteries I have 10 extra batteries and only paid $64 for them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
As someone that uses a GoPro Hero7 Black at least 3 times a week, I can tell you that it basically has the same issues (minus the 4K freezing issue, haven't had that one). Getting hot is unfortunate, but in summer I remedy that just by dipping it in the water for about 2 or 3 seconds and it goes away. Just sucks when you hook into a fish and it happens, just keep an eye on it by touching it every so often. The real issue is in the cold when recording Winter river fishing or ice fishing. The batteries drain super fast if not properly insulated. Like Cro said, A windmuff can help insulate as well as cut out wind.

·
Registered
494 Posts
As someone that uses a GoPro Hero7 Black at least 3 times a week, I can tell you that it basically has the same issues (minus the 4K freezing issue, haven't had that one). Getting hot is unfortunate, but in summer I remedy that just by dipping it in the water for about 2 or 3 seconds and it goes away. Just sucks when you hook into a fish and it happens, just keep an eye on it by touching it every so often. The real issue is in the cold when recording Winter river fishing or ice fishing. The batteries drain super fast if not properly insulated. Like Cro said, A windmuff can help insulate as well as cut out wind.
I miss understood what he meant by freezing.

So the GoPro freezes in 4K because you're not using the right SD card for 4K filming. Not EVERY sd car can record in 4K, google what sd cards recording 4K in 30fps or in 60fps and buy that SD card.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks dr cro and team co.ff for the info what are ear muffs for the gopro.
someone told me to get a super suit for it to keep it warm is that right and what setting do I put it on to ice fish at 11 mile any info would be appreciated. and so sorry for the late response I don't get on here very much

·
Registered
494 Posts
You're welcome! When it comes to 11 Mile Res nothing can keep your camera from freezing to death, I haven't figured it out yet, but your best chance is buying this: https://www.amazon.com/Taisioner-Windslayer-Housing-Protective-Reduction/dp/B07JB582PB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=gopro+wind+muff&qid=1582426412&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE3UzlDMEhHOEtUNjAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1MzQzNTYxRjVPRTJRMFNLMUtPJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2OTE3NzMyS0dDSkhVV0hWOUcwJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== and covering your go pro in it. I recommend keeping the gopro in your pants until the sun comes out or it warms up a bit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts