Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park to go after my first high country cutthroat. I stopped by a flyshop in Estes and asked them what was working. They introduced me to the Chernobyl ant and a caddis with rubber band legs. I thought, you've got to be kidding. I bought some though, because they told me about a couple of spots that would be promising. The first one was a stream that was a two mile hike to supposedly a pool of hungry cutts. It was a wild goosechase and I got real tired from the hike. I went to a high mountain lake after that and found a crystal clear lake where there were a lot of foot long cutthroats that you could sight fish. They were rising for something small white and fuzzy and I tried everything small white and fuzzy I had with interest but no takers. Then I used the caddis with the rubber legs and got this:

Now, if I were a fish, I wouldn't eat a caddis with rubber legs, but go figue. I then lost it in a tree. I then tried the Chernobyl ant, which was ridiculous. Much to my disbelief, another cutt inhaled it right before my eyes, but I didn't tie the knot real well and he ran off with the fly. Nothing else worked after that. I will always listen to the local flyshop folks from now on. Only got one cutthroat today, but it was well worth the hike and I been obsessing about it for a few weeks.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
Wheres the pic? I too have caught many cutts on real ugly stupid patterns.Ive used madame x's with success,they look like a big piece of cotton on a hook.

N

·
0 Posts
Congrats. If you are in search of cutties, try trappers and some of the small streams in the Flat Tops. Chernobyl ants are a deadly pattern all over the west. I have caught everything from Colorado river cutties to Bulls in Montana on the Chernobyl ant. Good fly to keep a stock of in your big ugly box. Again congrats on the cuttie.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
That's a great cutt. They really like to hit those attractor and terrestrial patterns. My favorite for then is a Royal Wullf - size 14 or 16. Congratulations!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts