Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got myself a belated birthday present in the mail the other day. Anybody have one of these CHIRP models?
I've never owned a decent fishfinder before, can't wait to try it out for the 1st time, might have to wait about 2 weeks till I get a chance to...stupid work.

I need a little advice on how to mount it to the rail of my boat.

Also I'm looking for a good way to move it from the front to the back of the boat, depending on where I'm fishing. The power cable is 4' long, I guess it wouldn't be to hard to extend it.

Going on this boat

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have the 7 CHIRP. Have had it for one week. Been out on the water twice. It is good, very good at target separation. Walleye and laker guys will love it. Other fishermen will like it because it gets rid of a lot of false returns and clutter. Which transducer did you get?

As far as mounts, I'd go with RAM as they will allow you to quickly disconnect and move to another location.

Adding (edit) detail of a post I put on the other site.

The CHIRP bridges the gap and in some cases jumps the gap between HDI and HDS. The gap it bridges is related to cost. It is not as expensive as HDS. It does jump the gap in that color definition of fish/bait that the Structure component of HDS does not have.

In my terms CHIRP gives me Structure Scan (down) detail and target separation in a color screen without the added cost of buying structure scan. It also greatly reduces the top layer of clutter all systems have.

Medium CHIRP seemed to work best for the depths I was fishing at PLO and Monument but once I get a laker trip in (maybe next weekend) I will be able to provide more info.

EDIT - I own enough Lowrance products to be able to give a comparison. DSI, HDI, HDS (Structure Scan) and CHIRP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts