Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new, unused SAGE 9'9" 4wt rod. Retails at $700.

You get it for $420. Nice price for some fine green from the Mile High city.

No, I will not haggle. :thumb:

SS

Attachments

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take your $100, plus $320, plus a pack of Swisher Sweets AND a two liter of grape drink.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Mr. Swimbait,

Help educate me. My current lineup is a Wright & McGill 3wt (8'), Sage Response 6 wt & 8 wt (9' or 9'6" on both). All for warmwater species, no trout:bored:.

I was thinking that a 4wt might be slightly better than my 3wt since I like to use it to throw crazy charlies and other slightly weighted flies for crappie and sunfish. Would your 4:20 rod be "smokin'" for this application or should I "roll" on past this deal and be satisfied with my current arsenal? What are the typical applications of a sage 9'9" 4wt?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will start by saying that I have never used the rod. It is brand spanking new.

It feels like it has some power and would perhaps work as a "four and a half weight" meaning I think it could punch above its class. It is not a "polite" feeling four weight.

I think it would be a great long line nympher, and would toss smaller streamers well. Articulated streamers, tandem streamer rigs, that sort of thing, not so much. But Thin Mints, Boufaces, #8 or 10 Charlies with bead (not lead) eyes.

I would not use it to snipe dries in pocket water, it would be a bit unwieldy for that IMO due to length, but big dry/dropper rigs should be great.

Honestly, I like a three weight for sunnies, but this rod would be more than adequate to the task, and a lot more versatile. Great trout stick too. Light, long reach.

Is that helpful?

-Mr. Swimbait

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes. Thank you. Maybe not exactly what I'm looking for. I just dropped 2 large on a new rifle setup so I might hold off for now. Thanks

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Ill trade a rare vintage Mitchell 510 and a rare vintage Mitchell 304 C.A.P.

And if you talk real sweet to me, I might throw in a spool of 30 lb. Braid.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That would be a great nymphing rod for anyone needing one!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm really thinking about keeping it. I have a 9' GLX 4 that is a touch lighter in power, this one is a bit longer and a bit stouter, and I have a 10' 4 Cortland Brook that is way softer than either. I think this would fit real nice in the lineup.

I have a 9' 5wt five piece St. Croix Legend Ultra that I almost never use. It is a great rod, just does not fit my style. Quite beefy for a trout stick. I use fours and threes 99% or the time here, I take the five to Alaska. My next purchase will be a nine weight I can chase wipers with and use for flats if I get a chance. So maybe the St. Croix has to go... :/

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I'm really thinking about keeping it. I have a 9' GLX 4 that is a touch lighter in power, this one is a bit longer and a bit stouter, and I have a 10' 4 Cortland Brook that is way softer than either. I think this would fit real nice in the lineup.

I have a 9' 5wt five piece St. Croix Legend Ultra that I almost never use. It is a great rod, just does not fit my style. Quite beefy for a trout stick. I use fours and threes 99% or the time here, I take the five to Alaska. My next purchase will be a nine weight I can chase wipers with and use for flats if I get a chance. So maybe the St. Croix has to go... :/
would make an excellent french nymphing rod :llama:

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like my ten footer for that. Im thinking about getting a ten foot three weight specifically for that purpose.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Off to Craigslist

Y'all can still get it if you want. I'll close this when it sells.

Will trade for a nice wood lathe.

SS

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
This model sage is meant for nymphing. It has an unusual taper, but works good for what it's designed for.

I'll give you $250. Nymphing sucks, but I can use it anyway.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the offer. For you, I will let it go for $500.

I can deliver it on a trip to the tailwater. Think it over.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I gave it a nano second of thought. No.

btw The rod can be bought new with a warranty. You might reconsider your price since yours won't have a warranty.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Actually, as it is BRAND SPANKING NEVER BEEN STRUNG UP NEW, and has not been registered yet, it still has a full warranty. You are right, I should adjust the price. You can have it for $520, you pay shipping lmao

Everyone else can have it for $400.

Cheers man!

SS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts