Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Sorry, I'm gonna post before gotmuskie? does...

Went there a few times in the last few weeks. Wasn't fishing, but using their archery range. From the looks of it, there's some big fish in there. Observing from the parking lot, I noticed some REALLY big breaks at the surface that couldn't have been carp. Not too many fishermen out either. I would suggest early morning.

1eyeReD

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I know, I do too. I plan some fall brown trout trips so keep your fingers crossed. Very offtopic, but I fished yesterday at Golden Gate State Park at the ponds for a short half hour or so to re-touch up my casting arm.

Was really supposed to be enjoying the picnic with the family, but I just had to. Unfortunately, I got the skunk and was too embarrassed to post. Everyone's catching at least something, but me!  :p

1eyeReD

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
Where is Lon Hagler???
From Loveland, go west on 14th st. to the last stoplight, which is at 14th & Wilson I think, and continue on west into the rural areas until you come to a 4-way stop sign. Turn left (south) and go about 1/2 mile or so and watch for a road branching off to the right (west) with the Lon Hagler Reservoir sign on it. The sign is a little hard to spot until you are right on it, so don't feel bad if you miss it and have to back up the first time.

It costs $3.00 to enter and your state parks pass & Larimer county pass will not work. So make sure you have 3 $1 bills on you to put in the envelope at the gate. There is such a thing as a DOW season pass and that does work, if you have one.

This is another of those bowl shaped lakes that CO is famous for. The last time I tried to fish it from shore, I was not able to cast far enough to get into respectably deep water.

The Denver Post and the Rocky Mountain News have reported a few large tiger muskies caught there in the last week or two, caught on large crankbaits.

W.E.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Very late post but yes I did make it out to Lon Hagler. Didn''t catch any tigers but did see a nice one cruising the surface towards the boat dock. After my arm got tired of casting muskie lures, I dunked worms and couldn't keep those little perch off. Besides that, one stupid stocker trout. I did see a truck roll into the lake and dissappear though, pretty neat.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I went out to Lon Hagler one night and saw at least a hundred muskies in the shallows. for real, im not lying...i walked up and down the shore with my flashlight and lost count of them there we so many....

too bad they were all about 10 inches long...must have been stocked in there that day.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
gotmuskie? said:
Very late post but yes I did make it out to Lon Hagler.  Didn''t catch any tigers but did see a nice one cruising the surface towards the boat dock.  After my arm got tired of casting muskie lures, I dunked worms and couldn't keep those little perch off.  Besides that, one stupid stocker trout.  I did see a truck roll into the lake and dissappear though, pretty neat.
what do you consider "little" when it comes to perch?

was the truck launching a boat or just going for a swim?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts