Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I got excited and posted quite a bit on my first one, but I wanted to add some stuff. I don't know if this belongs in reports so move it at will moderators.

First the weather was great but I got this pic of the driving conditions heading up there.

Also I am pretty proud of my laker set up so I wanted to post a pic of it.

That is a 30" medium action rod. It was 10 bucks at Jax. I got that baitcaster of e-bay for cheap. I think it is a really nice one. It has great drag and hardly ever backlash's. It is spooled with 12lb floro. After this trip I don't think it is over kill and i don't think at 60 ft that lb test of line fritens the fishys. I think I could handle some biguns now that I am a pro and all. After all why fish if it's not for a state record! :) :) :)

I hope I can explain this correctly:

The best way IMO to cut the bait is as follows. I had about 4" suckers I would cut off the head and tail (I got no action on either all day) The body is left and it resembles a tube. I then cut it into 1/4" sections. They looked like thick quarters. Then stick it on the hook through one side of the scales and through the other. This was the best way I found that day.

Was just hoping for a little imput from you guys on my gear and bait presentation.

Once again an amazing trip thank you ColoradoFisherman.com and all who run you.

Now where are the BIG lakers at! ;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Nice pictures... I have to dis agree with you on the tail part, 2 of my 3 fish caught on sucker meat were on the tail sections of the sucker. But I dont use the heads either. I had alot of fun there as well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have to agree with epic, about the tail section of using suckers for macs. The tail section seems to stay put, more so than the body pieces and often times, one is able to reuse it over and over (not that one should skimp on bait, but it does have more staying power). I too, have caught just as many fish, using the tail section. As far as using body sections, hatchmaster is correct, they should be placed on ones lure, putting the hook in through and out of the skin portion of the sucker. I usually slice mine a bit thicker, at least 1/2" wide, but that's just my preference. The main thing is having the scent. When using a soft plastic tube bait, like a gitzit, there's plenty of soft, salty, tastey texture for the fish to gobble up. The most important thing when baiting sucker meat, is to make sure that once it is placed onto your hook, that there are no remaining sucker scales on the tip of your hook, as it will severly hamper setting the hook.
Hatchmaster, as far as 12# test goes, that isn't overkill. I personally use 10# Berkley Vanish (flourocarbon line). It has the same diameter of traditional 8# test. As you say, you're going for the big ones, so, you've got to be prepared. The flourocarbon has about the same refractive qualities of water, so I personally don't think that you are spooking anything with it at all. Just don't use it with your 1/16th and 1/32nd oz. jigs when going for trout, ;D, as it would hamper the presentation big time, but you know that.
Well, that's my 2 cents worth, take care and best of luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts